JNS Hide

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had the opportunity to use any of the single beveled Hide knives? JNS just dropped some White 2 K-tips and I was intrigued by them, especially with the 15% off. I haven’t really seen them anywhere else other than JKI (Gesshin Hide). Please share any opinions or experiences you’ve had with them!

I've used a pre-owned hide non gesshin blue kiritsuke tip yanagi, extra thin, sharpened up similar to the gesshin hide yanagiba I owned.

Advantage of hide sharpened single bevels is excellent wide bevel sharpening and ura work, very very shallow low spots. They have horizontal grind marks on the urasuki which I find makes for a more consistent uraoshi sharpening. Also the spine side is a bit more in line with the edge than many other single bevels, close to planar. Admittedly, the kiritsuke tip yanagi had a weird thing going on with the ura at the tip, almost like a twist, but maybe because it was used idk. Ebuchi forges stuff a bit thicker it seems, so it's just on the heavier side.

Back