Just a Thought

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
"Master Bladesmith"

Been cruising the knife sites lately. Noticed the "Master" label being mentioned. (Rightfully so) My issue is if they want to expand into the kitchen knife world the "Master" thing shouldn't give them an automatic pass. If you know what I mean.

Might be cool and all but if it can't cut a potato properly it's worthless. (except on BST)

How many mastersmiths are making kitchen knives? Burke, Kramer, Carter, Wilburn, Rader, and....... who else? There's over a hundred, so there's got to be more. Carter is the only MS that I have personally used/own. I guess I have never really seen a performance review on the rest of them, I've always just assumed they were great cutters. I have met a few ACF certified master chefs that were a little iffy.

It's most definitely just me, but I can't work with a Kramer, and I sold my Carter because.. Honestly I wanted to frame it, not use it. I mean no depreciation. They cut like no other, like you'd think the gods knives would, but in a professional setting, knives are tools, meant to work and meant to be put to use, and I couldn't bring myself to degrade such a beautiful piece of art through a humble radish or potato.

I've found my style in the kithen more through the blades I've used than any other influence, and the absolute finest dish I can create, I'd rather someone else enjoy than myself, and I tend to appreciate the bellied learning curve.

I can't say I've settled. The few knives and stones I've settled on most would consider upper class. But the most important and deciding factor is that (as cheesy as it sounds) I feel married to them, as though were familiar.

Master bladesmiths have my utmost respect, but their blades are just not for me, at least for the most part.

This has been discussed before. A MS rating is solely based on a smiths skill working with metal, it does not (nor does it claim too) reflect that smiths skill in producing any specific type of blade. When you buy a knife from a MS you know the steel and heat treat are top notch, but the rating itself does not tell you anything about the smiths skill making a particular type of knife.

Be well,
Mikey

I think some of the "Masters should'nt produse any knife att all, many can make a beatiful damascus billet etc but when it comes to the important grinding part

a shallow hollow grind with a 45 degree bevel at the edge made in ten minutes with no thought behind and call it high performance is very bad manners to every user

As we are on the Master topic I was delighted to read Yu Kurosaki has been awarded the title of Master Nokaji. His work is absolutely exceptional and fills the gap left by the passing of Asai San. While a lot of people focus on the old masters with 40+ years of experience it is good to see a new generation making great blades at a very good price, we need to support them as well.

The "Master" tag is also getting thrown around in ways such as "is a MAKER kitchen knife maker", or a "MASTER" of such and such steel. I think I've misused it once or twice, just to express how highly I think of someone's work, and might have done so in regards to Will Catcheside's work just yesterday. In my mind, when used to describe the workmanship, I find it acceptable, but when it's used as a title, and almost in an attempt to trick a customer into thinking the maker has his MS stamp, I get annoyed.

With all of that being said, Carter's knives cut like a dream, and are tools first. Raders are pure Master Smith quality in terms of design, feel, fit and finish, and they perform beautifully. I get being scared to use one, but in the right setting, if we can make it happen, we should all be lucky enough to own and use one. I've never used a Burke or a Wilburn, but on these forums they have terrific reputations, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. As for a MS maker who only makes bowies and then suddenly makes a kitchen knife...well, there's a huge difference, and we can leave it at that.

Back