Kengata Yanagi vs Standard Yanagi vs Tokobiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles222

Reaction score
They are all variations of Yanagiba, but visually so different. I've seen them used in sushi restaurants before, but never had a chance to ask for the pro/con.

Currently already posses 2 standard yanagiba 270 Kikuichi, and 300 masamoto ks.
Rarely used the 300mm masamoto ks due to heavier weight that i rather not transitioning into.

Christmas is coming, and i am really itching to get something new.
Considering either a 270mm masamoto ks takobiki (currently on sale locally for $320) or
Suisin Saika Kengata Yanagi by Keijiro & Itsuo Doi (currently on sale at korin for $525 - 15% + shipping = $457)

I am curious about the weight of the Suisin Kengata Yanagi because that would be a big deciding factor. Heard from an friend from out of state that it's lighter than my 300 ks masamoto, but hopefully a forum member can confirm that. I am also going to send out an e-mail to Korin to find the exact weight on those 2 knives.

Please pitch in if you have any information, pro/con, advice or suggestions regarding these 3 different types of sashimi slicer.

Thanks,
Charles

i currently have a 300mm mizuno fuguhiki that is insanely light and thin and fun to use. it is the blue #2 version. I also have a 270mm watanabe sakimaru takohiki that i just recently got and it is surprisingly light as well. much lighter than the 270mm kikuichi yanagibas.

Anyone have any practical experience on a kengata yanagiba? Very curious on what experienced sushi people have to say about that profile.

Anyone have any practical experience on a kengata yanagiba? Very curious on what experienced sushi people have to say about that profile.

Back