Kia ora from NZ

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a home cook in Wellington New Zealand. I've lurked a lot, this is a great site and quite the enabler. I've picked up heaps of useful info here, as evidenced by:

1. I don't own any 210mm gyuto (but hope to own a 225 someday of course)

2. I put a Denka notch in my 195mm carbon Misono

3. For the rare knife that is a 'keeper' I will put a burnt chestnut handle on it. This is like a wedding ring for knives.

I should also mention that my toastie (grilled cheese sandwich) game is seriously improved thanks to combining various techniques in the "Greatest Cheese Toastie in the World" thread. If you haven't checked it out, check it out.

The knives I'm using the most are:
Yoshikane 240 SKD nashiji gyuto
S Tanaka 240 blue 2 nashiji gyuto
Aforementioned Misono 195 Swedish carbon gyuto
An old western carbon slicer (was probably a chefs knife at one time but now shaped more like a sujihiki; probably pre-WWII, stiff, cool, about 230mm; could get retired as I have a Mazaki 270 suji on the way)
Toyama 180 stainless clad nakiri
Munetoshi kurouchi petty 165 (but just ordered a Munetoshi butcher which could replace this, as I mainly use it for carving things like whole roast chickens, ribs, etc.)
Wusthof Classic 165 santoku (this is my cheese knife, so I use it daily)
Kaeru kasumi stainless/SLD petty 150mm
And of course some Victorinox fibrox

Sharpening mainly on Naniwa Gouken Arata 800 and Chosera 3000.

Glad to be here!

Last edited:
Yumalundi (Ngunnawal, welcome) @Beerzebub!

Nice to see more antipodeans on the forum. I am from across the drink in Oz. Hilarious name! Any beers you are keen on at the moment?

Cheers fellow antipodeans! Yep, I'm keen on Garage Project's 11th anniversary stout at the moment, brewed with whole cinnamon rolls, coco puffs, caramel, miso, cacao nibs, hazelnut, vanilla pods, sour cherry, banana, coffee, and toasted coconut. So one of their more restrained recipes. Good for drinking in the shed while easing choils.

Welcome! Wellington is a lovely city, some fond memories there

Yep, I'm keen on Garage Project's 11th anniversary stout at the moment, brewed with whole cinnamon rolls, coco puffs, caramel, miso, cacao nibs, hazelnut, vanilla pods, sour cherry, banana, coffee, and toasted coconut. So one of their more restrained recipes. Good for drinking in the shed while easing choils.

🤣

Sounds wild! Their art is pretty funky - a nice touch. I'll see if the local bottle-o has any. I had 'Bliss' in Sydney last year. It was a pretty decent!

🤣

Sounds wild! Their art is pretty funky - a nice touch. I'll see if the local bottle-o has any. I had 'Bliss' in Sydney last year. It was a pretty decent!
I like most of what they brew, and they're coming out with new beers all the time. Another of my favorites (will use American spelling here) of theirs at the moment is Fux, a red IPA. Two other kiwi breweries I like are 8 Wired and North End. I never see any Australian beer here, but surely there is such a thing?

Sorry about the late reply...

I enjoyed Garage Project's 'BEER'. In this new world of craft-beer everybody is trying to put their stamp on the experience. I like the idea of just trying to make a good plain beer! Drinkable, refreshing... uncomplicated. Nice!

I never see any Australian beer here, but surely there is such a thing?

Ha! To be honest... I will drink almost anything you put down in front of me. I am not much of a connoisseur. Like I hinted... I like uncomplicated beers. While it can be fun to try creative beers, I tend to find boring lagers most enjoyable (particularly when the weather is hot).

If you have a well-stocked bottle-O that imports craft-beers, you might see some of these Ozzie breweries:
  • Coopers (SA, Adelaide - old enough and big enough that they probably arent considered 'craft' anymore)
  • Young Henrys (NSW, Sydney/Newtown - pretty big now, perhaps on their way to not being considered 'craft' anymore)
  • 4 Pines (NSW, Sydney/Manly)
  • Grifter (NSW, Sydney/Marrickville)
  • Stone & Wood (NSW, Byron Bay)
  • Kosciuszko (NSW, Jindabyne)
  • Little Creatures (WA, Fremantle)
  • Balter (QLD, Gold coast)
  • BentSpoke (ACT)
  • Capital Brewing (ACT)

... This is very NSW centric... I guess it is what my local pubs etc offer? I am sure Victorians, Queenslanders or WA-folk would have a different list!

Last edited:
Back