Labor of love...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So DH (da hubby) and I have been together 25 years. Married for close to 23. Since the man wakes up every morning, there has to be zero doubt that I love him.

Now like everyone here, I have a thing for knives. Increasingly very good to awesome knives. I have some pretty stellar knives in my collection which are an absolute pleasure to use.

So what is DH's go to knife for cutting hard and semi-hard cheeses?

A stupid effing 5 inch Calphalon santoku. You know, the kind with the little divets ground on the side to aid in "food release". :eyebrow:

Now this thing keeps an (acceptable to me) edge for maybe, oh, a month in our house. For whatever reason DH lent this knife to a relative and it came back duller than heck. I have butter knives that are sharper.

So it needed to be fixed. Like NOW. I.am.NOT putting a dull knife back in my drawer.

So a little session on the JNS 300 and Watanabe 1000 and that's all this knife really needs. It can shave arm hair and easily push cut paper. I can't seem to get to the point where I can fold a piece of paper in half and easily cut through, but it is far better than it was.

Any suggestions on how I can get this thing sharper? Or maybe given the main use I don't really need to. An yes, that is a plastic board. We use those for our German knives.

WIN_20170820_19_08_29_Pro.jpg

I volunteer every year at a local knife sharpening for charity event. And most of the knives that come in are either Calphalon or Kitchenaid. (Makes a Shun look good ya know.) They're soft, they're gummy and they don't take to sharpening. I know that knife and if you're cutting anything you're doing well.

Most of these go right to the grinder set at 20ish degrees. I've done a few hand sharpening jobs and just put a stupid obtuse angle on them - it'll last till next year.

Thanks Dave. Your feedback and advice means a lot. At the very least it tells me the fact that I can't seem to get an edge that lasts a decent amount of time tells me it's the knife and not me leaving a burr on or something.

And kudos to you for the volunteer work!

i thought this was going to be a shout out to our resident knife slut with the alias 'labor of love'

don't even bother to sharpen on the 1000, just use that to strop after 300.

In my experience the worst part is deburring. So my advice would be to spent a lot of time on that.

Having sharpened up a few of these, my advice would be to go to 2k or so and leave a nice polish and microbevel, as the latter seems to help when the user is holding and utilising it as one would a hammer. I have a theory that a flat polished face contributes to edge stability somehow...

This is one situation where I'm glad I have kept my Norton India coarse/fine, this stone shines with such knives. I sharpen at something like 15 deg each side and put a microbevel while deburring at leat at 25 degrees.

With your stone I would do everything on the 300 and deburr as much as I can and I would finish with a few deburring strokes on the 1000 at a higher angle. Edge leading strokes are more suited for PITA cheap stainless, don't know how soft this stone is.

This is one situation where I'm glad I have kept my Norton India coarse/fine, this stone shines with such knives. I sharpen at something like 15 deg each side and put a microbevel while deburring at leat at 25 degrees.

With your stone I would do everything on the 300 and deburr as much as I can and I would finish with a few deburring strokes on the 1000 at a higher angle. Edge leading strokes are more suited for PITA cheap stainless, don't know how soft this stone is.

It's kind of interesting. I have a Gesshin 220 which I would call a soft stone and a JNS 300 and the two stones feel miles apart to me. Normally I wouldn't think you need something that close in grit in a stone setup but I am glad I have those two different stones. I'm appreciating the JNS lower grit stones more and more as I work on more stainless.

The Gesshin 220 is a beast, so far I've only really needed it for a chip repair and to flatten some shoulders on a stupid dull stainless to get it going. The JNS 300 is my go to bottom range stone for all other stainless needs.

Back