Largest sized spider strainer?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chips

Reaction score
I'm looking for a larger spider strainer than my 5" spider strainer and I see plenty of 7" versions online. I'm not sure if there's larger sizes available that anyone is aware of? I can't find any that have a sturdy handle of good length. I'm not worried about the weight of the bones and solids I'm scooping out of a pot.

I have a large china cap and plenty of mesh strainers, but I'm looking for the highest quality (not going to bend or fail) spider strainer, since I tend to make massive batches of demi-glacé and would appreciate being able to remove bones/solids a bit quicker before running it thru the china cap.

I'm surprised that I don't have too many high-end commercial grade kitchen utensil/chef supply stores bookmarked on my computer, so I'm open to recommendations there too. Amazon isn't often a good source of well made items; I'd rather spend a bit more and have a higher quality unit.

Thanks!

search for “skimmer” on the EMF page:
http://emfhousewares.com/AspPages/prodSearch.aspEDIT - link may not work, but it’s also under “kitchen gadget”

I have the 15cm (also a 10cm brass one from another manufacturer) and have seen the 25 or 31cm when I bought the 15, it looked pretty solid but was way bigger than I could use at home. I already have a 21cm wok strainer so didn't really consider getting a bigger one.

A1A955C0-0DD7-4FF6-94E4-A2155A1455FB.png

Why not just invest in a stock pot with a spigot? I’m not sure what “massive batch” means but imo that’s by far the fastest easiest way to go.

search for “skimmer” on the EMF page:
http://emfhousewares.com/AspPages/prodSearch.aspEDIT - link may not work, but it’s also under “kitchen gadget”

I have the 15cm (also a 10cm brass one from another manufacturer) and have seen the 25 or 31cm when I bought the 15, it looked pretty solid but was way bigger than I could use at home. I already have a 21cm wok strainer so didn't really consider getting a bigger one.

View attachment 103726

I noticed one on their site that looked ideal. Thank you!

How about a strainer? One slightly smaller than your chinois. A pasta basket can work also. Bluebird 0853 Nickel-Plated 9.75 Wire Pasta / Noodle / Stra

These are probably the most ideal for what I'm looking for. I'm a bit surprised by the price though!! Still might go this route.
Why not just invest in a stock pot with a spigot? I’m not sure what “massive batch” means but imo that’s by far the fastest easiest way to go.

If I made stock more frequently, this would be a good idea. My most recent batch of demi-glacé was based on 14 pounds of beef marrow bones and 5 pounds of chuck. I use this as my base for a pan sauce for my steaks.

Back