Life of JKI Flattening Plate

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malexthekid

Reaction score
Was just wondering what the life of the JKI flattening plate is like? Looking to get one and want to know if it is worthwhile getting a couple in the one shipment?

Or will it realistically last me ages.

I've had one for about a year or more. Still going pretty strong.

Not so great. Atoma 140 is a better option in every aspect.

I reckon it would depend on how often you use it, and whether you use it to only flatten stones and if so, how hard those stones are. Jon would probably be able to provide more insight if you contact him directly with your question and intended use. He's usually pretty quick about responding to emails or you could try in his sub-foru.

I have used it for stone maintenance and to flatten bottom sides of 2 natural stones - I do not notice any wear yet. I would expect it to last quite a few years if it is only use for stone maintenance by a home user.

@Ruso why is the Atoma better? I have an atoma 140 that I only use to flatten stones, and I've been using softer stones like the Gesshin synthetic natural so was wondering if the atoma was too coarse.

My atoma is more coarse so therefore flattens faster.

@Ruso why is the Atoma better? I have an atoma 140 that I only use to flatten stones, and I've been using softer stones like the Gesshin synthetic natural so was wondering if the atoma was too coarse.

Mainly because Atoma does not wear out as fast. I used both for only stone flattening for about the same amount of time. Atoma is almost like new, while Gesshin has bunch of dead spots. I will try to make some pics...
Atoma is also wider that makes it easier to cover all the surface.
Atoma does not stick that much
Atoma is lighter (could be a good or bad thing depends how you look at it)
Atoma is faster
I did not notice any difference in stone finish after flattening

Atoma is more expensive, JKI is more of a budget option.

I remember Jon mentioning that the coarser the finish on the stone (after flattening) the faster it will work. The finer the finish - more polished the bevel. Basically speed vs polish. However, I could not see any practical difference on the bevels between JKI and Atoma, their grits must be relatively close.

@Ruso Thanks. I was thinking that if the JKI was less coarse it might be better so I don't prematurely wear down the stones. I'll probably hold off now and just use my atoma.

the grits are relatively close... and i kind of agree with what you are saying... the atoma works better, but not 2x more expensive better, so if its just for stone flattening, the one we sell is a good option. If you want to use it for stones, thinning, etc., the atoma is a better option.

Back