Long time lurker first time poster - wood and metalworking

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conoverin

Reaction score
Hey all - I've been reading these forums for years but never posted.
Anyway - I'm finally joining in and excited to get a bit more involved.

I worked kitchens for years and used the regular Kiwi, Vic, not-recently-sharpened sorts of things for years.
Now that I'm in a different line of work I've upgraded to the following list - a Shirogami Nakiri (I forget the maker), a Tojiro DP set of gyuto/petty/paring, 2nd hand carbon Sabatier carving knives, and a 2nd hand Henkels 10" chef's knife.

I'm mostly vegan, so the nakiri gets lots of use, followed by the Tojiro Gyuto -
My partner is a crossfitter that eats lots of animal proteins, and has their own set of knives to keep peace in the house as regards how we take care of nice things.

I've made some files-to-knife conversions for bushcraft friends and learned fun lessons about heat-treat.
But for fun I'm mostly an amateur woodworker, so I've got some knives I'm re-handling for friends and making custom handles from local woods for Christmas gifts.

I need to get better at sharpening - I'm not good at it, flat out. (pun intended)
Improving that is my main goal for the next year as far as this line of stuff is concerned. I just bought a Shapton stone and set aside time for it.

Back