Looking for a new knife, classic Rapala style blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to find a knife for kitchen use, similar to this classic 4 inch Rapala style blade. The heel merges into the bolster, it's light and balanced, and a bit flexible. We've been using my late fathers Rapala, but I want to put it away and get something with better steel.

Suggestions, keeping it in under $70 US if possible?

i-BT7vKP5-S.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last one I promise. This one is definitely in you budget, but like most fillet knives, aesthetics is not the primary design consideration. Even so, the 7Cr17 high carbon stainless steel, though not great is probably an upgrade over the cheap stainless used in most fillet knives.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DZ1YZ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a flexible Victorinox/Forschner boner?

These are all great suggestions. This knife is for my wife. We have an interesting dynamic at our house - my wife is very picky about the edge on her knives, but they get sooooo much abuse. I on the other hand am picky about edge abuse, but defer to her making sure the edge is as good as I think it is. *sigh*

It's not terribly pretty, and it's over your budget, but the VG-10 steel is probably a good upgrade for a fillet knife:
https://www.knife-depot.com/knife-296737.html

Fallkniven are good looking as far as I'm concerned. Glad you brought them back on my radar. That brand was on my list when I was searching for a camping/hunting knife. (limited EDC.) This particular one though is the wrong shape, and over-budget for the abuse it will get in my kitchen.

The Cabela's is too long, wrong shape. Same with the Schrade. Have one like that already, just not in SV30. Love the shape for everything from Northern to 1 lb perch.

Check this out for Dad's birthday: Leech Lake fillet knife made in Cedar Rapids Iowa. I have one. Works like a champ, though I still prefer the shape of the Cabela's. It has a sharp spine right behind the sharp flared tip. Great for cutting yourself with. Get it engraved with his name on it.

greenandblacksmall.jpg

Something from Mora or maybe Marttiini?

Forgot to look at Marttiini - their Inox seems to take a nice edge. We have a small sheath knife for backpacking that I like much better than any of our various Moras, and I like Moras very much for what they are.

How about a flexible Victorinox/Forschner boner?

Close! The Victorinox looks like just the thing for my wife - it's shape closely matches the Rapala. Thanks chinacats.
6-Boning-Knife-Griper-2T.jpg

(If that doesn't link right I'll fix it in a bit.)

That Leech Lake Knife is a nice looking knife! I think I'd probably throw in a box of band-aids if I get this one for him; that razor sharp spine on the back probably takes some getting used too... :)

As you probably know, the Rapala is just a rebranded Martiini. I went to their factory outlet in Rovaniemi and the variety of knives they manufacture was surprising.

The style is known as a puukko if you want to Google that and see what hits.

Cheers,

Rick

The style is known as a puukko if you want to Google that and see what hits.

I tend to think of Puukkos as being more like this, but I've no idea why. I was under the impression it was kind of a traditional Finnish general-purpose-belt-knife style rather than a filleting style.

iu

Does anyone know if Marttiini is using the same steel for all of their fillet knives, just putting different handles? Or are the nicer ones a different steel?

I'm having a deja vu moment. I'm sure I've been down this rabbit hole before. Can't find a 4 inch with a flat back, curve to a sharp point, a little flexible, no exposed heal, 1.3 mm thick full taper grind and better than Rapala steel for $50, or even $80. Lots of hype, nice handles, no consideration of the blade. Maybe it's not so bad just keep replacing cheap knives in this case.

Back