Looking for definitive info on this "Le Trumpette"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Davis

Reaction score
Wondering about this knife and how to determine Sabatier knives in general
Screenshot_20230421-155837_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230421-155908_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230421-171048_eBay.jpg

@Benuser responded to your other posts in the other threads you posted about this knife.
@Benuser knows what he is talking about.

Is the stamp on the knife the same stamp seen on ~1890s La Trompette knives? Yes.
Is this actual knife as old as the stamp? No. This is seen by the three-rivet western handle, which is more recent construction. It's also marked "pouzet", which earlier La Trompette versions were not.

The laminated/cast handle is pretty cool. I've never seen anything like that, not on a sabatier or any other knife for that matter. I would suspect it was done by a cutler not from the factory, perhaps as a repair. But this is just a guess.

Also, that tang does not show a strong taper. This is an indicator that it's a bit more recent than some of the older western handled sabatiers. I'd think 1960s.
Here's an example from etsy. Also a western handle with the old La Trompette stamp. Note the thinner tapered tang. I'd peg this one to the 50s.
sab.png
sab 2.png

There are other threads you can search for general info on Sabs.

I agree the handle on this knife is super weird. I have a hard time believing it is original. Agree that the tang not being tapered is unusual and suggests it's not that old. In the end, I don't see much special about this knife, and see a lot of drawbacks. If you are hoping for someone to tell you that you found a rare and valuable piece, I think you'll be disappointed.

Moving forward I'd suggest that you limit your questions about a single knife to one thread. You can always try replying to the thread to bump it in the hopes of getting more attention. Creating multiple posts with essentially the same question on the same knife isn't going to win you any friends or garner any better responses than you've already gotten.

Back