Looking for new stones!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagepandemanden

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

i've been sharpning for a while on the shapton glass model (500, 2000, 4000 and 6000), and looking for some new stones. I feel like the shapton glass is a bit to hard, and dont really have a good feeling. Often it feels like it's to hard, and it just glides if you know what i mean. Been looking at different models, and wanted to hear peoples opinion. I do sharp a lot of knives, so have fast it sharpens is very important!

For softer stones - King 800 and 1200 are very good.

For just being utterly glorious in every possible way (and soft-ish) - Ouka.

For softer stones - King 800 and 1200 are very good.

For just being utterly glorious in every possible way (and soft-ish) - Ouka.

what progression would you go in suehiro?
300-1000-3000? heared great things about the Rika (5000)

Have the Ouka and Rika.

Ouka is my favorite stone to sharpen on feel wise. Soooooooo nice. The edge it leaves is a good 3K. Pretty keen with nice bite. That edge stropped on 1 Micron diamond or a higher grit stone is pretty sweet for all-round kitchen use.

Rika. Hmmmm. I like how it feels but don't like the edge. Not much bite and not keen enough for its grit rating imo. That said, it does work well with Aoto slurry blending.

Haven't tried other Suehiro stones but have the 1K and 6K on my list.

You don't have to swap the whole lineup. Unless you hate all of them of course. But even then I wouldn't necessarily swap one whole line up for another whole lineup.
If I look at my own stones, I have the Naniwa Pro 400,1000, 3000, 5000, and if I had to buy again I'd happily buy the 1k and 3k again, but I'd have significant doubts about the 400, while absolutely skipping on the 5k. Not all stones in a lineup are neccessarily 'equal' and this probably applies to other brands too.

thanks for the advises! generally i feel the shapton dosn't give me the feedback im looking for. not complaining about the speed, but i feel like i don't get any feedback

Back