• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Markin 210 Gyuto REX121

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoo

┐⁠(⁠ ⁠∵⁠ ⁠)⁠┌
KKF Lifetime Supporter KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is a right knife, wrong time sale. I asked Andrei to make this for me in April, he finished in October just as the fiancee and I decided on moving house. So at this point, I need to move money around to buy furniture and renovate. As my most expensive knife, it's going to go so I can finance house items. Once I get over this hump and I can save up a bit again, I'm going to definitely get back on his books.

For anyone who hasn't touched Andrei's work - cream of the crop in my opinion. Everything is finished to the highest of standards. The glamour shot

20211103_134837-jpg.150153

This knife is stainless clad REX121. REX121 is a high hardness PM steel that contains a ton of vanadium making for extremely long edge retention (top of Larrin's test). It's an expensive steel that is harder to work (tough on belts), so also expensive from a labour perspective. Andrei hardens it "soft" at only 67HRC - some makers take it all the way up to 71+HRC.

Basic Spec
212mm length
51mm tall at heel
162g
balance at the heel
Handle is Tasmanian Blackwood.
Profile is Yoshikane flat (maybe even a bit more)
My calipers are shot, but I can say that the distal taper is smooth and consistent from heel to thin tip.

Price: Once converted, I paid $1125 CAD to Andrei for this. Willing to ship to Canada for $1000CAD. Rest of the world, DM me - knife would ship insured, so not going to guess on what shipping will be to where you are.

Disclaimers:
First: There is a small scratch on one side of the knife. I think this came about from the saya as it is tight and holds like a friction fit. It was not on the knife as delivered from Andrei.
Second: I have touched up the knife once on a Naniwa 3K diamond stone + 1u diamond strop. Andrei's edge was sharp, but I felt like it could be just a touch sharper. Andrei does sharpen these with Shapton Pro stones. He told me that he feels the edge stays sharp longer with the Shaptons than using diamonds. As this is the only knife I need diamond for, I'm willing to make a deal to include the stone/strop/paste if you want.

Time for some glamour shots
20211203_142009.jpg

20211203_142016.jpg

20211203_142024.jpg

The area with the scratch. If you look two pics up of the same side of the knife, it's one of those scratches you need to tilt the knife at the correct angle to see.
20211203_142110.jpg

The stunner of a handle. Some handles I've seen look good in sunlight and then look "blah" in the kitchen. This one looks awesome all the time.
20211203_142136.jpg

20211203_142143.jpg

The knife and saya.
20211203_142304.jpg

The shipping box:
20211203_142312.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with all the others regarding Andrei's work ... simply stellar regardless of the fact they are also cheaper than many other folks ... but FWIW - that knife box is stupid amazing!!! My two blades didn't come with awesome mosquito blinged boxes!!! GLWS the 'new owner' will be amazed I am sure ...

Back