• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Massive Japanese natural stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmccurtis

Reaction score
Never thought I'd sell this one, and don't really want to, but I have to replace some stolen tools, so here goes nothing. Up for sale is one enormous Japanese natural stone. Set into a box carved from two solid pieces of what I believe to be mulberry, the stone is lacquered on its sides. The stone's mine is unknown to me, but in use, it reminds me of an Ozuku asagi I have. That's merely a guess on my part, though. The stone is very hard, and definitely not for beginners. The few small cracks are unnoticeable in use. It benefits from a bit of a slurry raised by a fine diamond plate, and with that slurry started yields a lovely, bright polish, with a mirrored hagane and a defined, matte jigane. It's not a fast stone, but I've found it to be a good finisher, especially for tools. I suspect it would be an awesome stone for razors, too. It was definitely the most obviously impressive piece of my collection. Also, the sharpening smell reminds me of mezcal, so that's pretty cool.

Now the important part...

Dimensions (stone only): 221 x 141 x 26mm
Weight (including box): 2793g

775 USD shippped.

XjbpJaY.jpg

dZgFp46.jpg

gPjpHKC.jpg

hjkizOI.jpg

RJ0pthB.jpg

JY3LRQK.jpg

hw3nZfp.jpg

7mhghJR.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Did you buy this at Tosho in Toronto? I remember seeing a brick of this stature there. Regardless it is gorgeous and would make anyone really happy! Good luck with the sale.

This one came from a seller in Japan (I don't remember which, it was a number of years ago).

Back