Maumasi Smith & Bard monosteel collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love mine!!

IMG_6492.JPG
IMG_6519.JPG
IMG_6511.JPG

Congratulations, the handle looks nice, is it comfortable?

From a guy who never bought a knife over $400 ..
- Both $1400 and Maumasi usual $6k prices are "terrible value", second-most terrible, second to only Kramer. Though I'm sure people who buy knives from him are way past value rationale.
- If offering a less insane price gets at least somewhat sane people to try them, more power to him.
- He could probably sell $10 sayas with his signature for $500 .. we might not like it if he does, and he's likely not this brazen, but he could.
- Could he have used a better metal? I'm sure he could, but I'm also sure he isn't trying to save money on metal (It'd be $5 difference in material cost?). I assume he can work with whatever metal and make it do whatever .. he's pretty good, right?
- Could he have forged it vs stock removal .. as above, there are great points to why he should have, but I still say he probably knows what he's doing either way he makes his stuff.
- While I still disagree on the price, I get that this is art / collector / status territory and he can charge whatever people pay .. I hate that this drops into the same bucket as apple / beats / <fashion brand>, but I can't hate on his success or him trying to capitalize on it (within some reason), he probably worked hard enough for it.

Maybe my tolerance is higher, or maybe I just don't particularly care to ever have one as I don't find his work as beautiful as some other makers, so I'm not terribly upset.
(yes, pretty much comes down to eye satisfaction for me at that price point).
Now if Dalman starts charging $1500 per knife, I'll likely feel some of what people are feeling above.

I for one look forward to purchasing a $1500 Dalman made from recycled garbage cans.

EDIT: Nothing against using quirky steels or recycled object for knives, it's pretty cool.

A Halcyon Forge gyuto did something very similar to my shoe. It slid of the butcher board, fell off the counter, bounced on a cambro handle below counter (slightly sticking out), then hit my shoe before finally resting on the foam mat undamaged. It wasn’t until like an hour later after service slowed down a bit that I noticed the tip of my clog was missing. It was such a clean effortless cut that I had not even felt it. I went back to the scene of the crime to find the piece of clog still there on the mat.
Luckily my toes are still intact.
For a knife to fall while having its descent momentum broken a couple times by impeding surfaces before finally landing on my shoe and making a clean slice through, well, that’s just F-ing impressive.

Sorry, that was off topic. Back to the what’s cool what’s not cool topic

9769453D-FD82-40C9-B5D2-D5B489593083.jpeg
90396123-3419-41AB-8C6B-4D1F99847238.jpeg

I for one look forward to purchasing a $1500 Dalman made from recycled garbage cans.

EDIT: Nothing against using quirky steels or recycled object for knives, it's pretty cool.
Thats not how we do things here! We call them "Vintage Soviet-Era trash dispoal units imbued with spirit of a thousand Norse kame"

Home cook and cooking less than I used to since the old man retired, but I love my Maumasi and find it worth every penny. Is it the best knife for every single person? Of course not, no knife is. But for me, it is the single most comfortable knife to use that I own. As I'm getting arthritic with age, comfort becomes more and more important. My Maumasis are lightweight for their size, move through food without wedging, and the handles just "fit". And they're incredibly beautiful and they just make me happy every time I use them. Since they aren't being used for hours a day, edge maintenance is not an issue.

I have some knives from other "big name" makers that are great knives. They're probably going up on B/S/T at some point, because if a knife's handle style/weight/wedging causes me not to use it because it hurts, even an inexpensive knife costs too much.

Everything is not value priced, nor should it be. About a year ago, I paid over $300 for a rock — yes, a real rock. It has no functional value whatsoever, but every day it brings me joy.

YMMV

Back