My experience with JNS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regular/thin crepes with some fried chanterelles and cloudberry jam.
@RDalman Berries and mushrooms...cloudberries? Thanks for introducing me to something new, even though I don't like sweets, more of an okonomiyaki or bánh xèo type of guy.

I’m not Swedish but I used to work for a Swedish company that made me come to HQ all the time.

I also really really miss the herring (3 ways) for breakfast lol
Mmmmm, herring under a fur coat @WildBoar

50 or more A++ smooth transactions with JNS since 2012
Communications have suffered over the last few years but he always comes through.

@RDalman Berries and mushrooms...cloudberries? Thanks for introducing me to something new, even though I don't like sweets, more of an okonomiyaki or bánh xèo type of guy.

Yes cloudberry is very special. Chanterelles fried in butter, some flour on and a couple dashes mushroom soy, cream and simmer to thicken. A spoon of that and cloudberry jam on a crepe, roll up. As per my grandma 🥳

Me too. When I was a kid I lived outside Stockholm for a couple of years, and I always "happened" to knock on my neighbour's door Thursday afternoons to hang out. His mother made the best billberry jam to go with the pancakes after the pea soup.
And yes, billberries(we call them blueberries) are way better than blueberries.

Glad things worked out @4phantom!

there are more cool sounding berries (cloudberries) in Sweden than any country I know😊😊😊

I just checked my order history with JNS.
10 orders in total over the years, all parcels arrived in fine condition.
My first order with JNS was a 240mm gyoto.
I place the order, the next day Maxim contact me and tells me the gyotos he recived from Japan had been mislabeled and was in fact 210mm and not 240mm, so my knife would be delayed by a week. He apologized for this and offered me a 240mm kiritsuke instead which cost a little more than the gyoto for the same price. I had my mind set on the gyoto, so I decided to wait. When the knife arrived Maxim put in a nice koppa size Tomo Nagura Extra for free.
I am sorry to hear others had a less than ideal experience due to poor communication, my own dealings with JNS has been nothing but good.

I just checked my order history with JNS.
10 orders in total over the years, all parcels arrived in fine condition.
My first order with JNS was a 240mm gyoto.
I place the order, the next day Maxim contact me and tells me the gyotos he recived from Japan had been mislabeled and was in fact 210mm and not 240mm, so my knife would be delayed by a week. He apologized for this and offered me a 240mm kiritsuke instead which cost a little more than the gyoto for the same price. I had my mind set on the gyoto, so I decided to wait. When the knife arrived Maxim put in a nice koppa size Tomo Nagura Extra for free.
I am sorry to hear others had a less than ideal experience due to poor communication, my own dealings with JNS has been nothing but good.
I have only good dealings with Maksim - he does not reply to all emails, but if you put the subject as urgent -order or something, he will respond quickly

and when I placed an order for 39 Kaeru 240 mm Gyuto, he was beyond great - exceptional service

Yes cloudberry is very special. Chanterelles fried in butter, some flour on and a couple dashes mushroom soy, cream and simmer to thicken. A spoon of that and cloudberry jam on a crepe, roll up. As per my grandma 🥳

I was going to join in the borderline-disruptive berry based banter by regaling you with a largely unamusing anecdote of being taken up to visit my cousins in Wales as a chupsty London teenager and being forced encouraged to pick a local delicacy, ‘Windberries’ on a blustery hillside. Needless to say, I was less than impressed: they had a much more unpleasantly **** name than cloudberries for a start (and I got mud on my newish jordans).

It‘s only when google-researching the berry name to check I hadn’t imagined that brattish tale that I’ve realised that they were actually saying ’Winberries’ all along (aka braeberries or huckleberries apparently).

FFS, for 30 years I’ve been carrying along that daft misconception.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Here in Norway cloudberries actually have a much more boring name. In Sweden too I believe:).
Have I understood it right that it's deerberries? (Loudly and dramatically saying "Hjortron" in English makes it sound like the main bad guy in a movie - along with his henchmen Smultron and Hallon.)

Have I understood it right that it's deerberries? (Loudly and dramatically saying "Hjortron" in English makes it sound like the main bad guy in a movie - along with his henchmen Smultron and Hallon.)
In Swedish that sounds about right. In Norwegian they're simply called molte/multe bær, which I think is derived from an old form of "ripe" or "mature". Bær means berries. Norwegian is a much more boring language than Swedish. Your evil henchman Smultron would be called jordbær(literally earth/soil berries) in Norwegian, and his name would strike fear in the hearts of... no one.

In Swedish that sounds about right. In Norwegian they're simply called molte/multe bær, which I think is derived from an old form of "ripe" or "mature". Bær means berries. Norwegian is a much more boring language than Swedish. Your evil henchman Smultron would be called jordbær(literally earth/soil berries) in Norwegian, and his name would strike fear in the hearts of... no one.
Really you don't think of strawberries? Jordgubbar (earth-oldmen) in swedish is strawberries.

Aaah there's a translational problem.. In sweden smultron is considered the quite different original tiny wild berry. But translated to english it's strawberry the same as jordgubbar we grow in the gardens.

Your evil henchman Smultron would be called jordbær(literally earth/soil berries) in Norwegian, and his name would strike fear in the hearts of... no one.
It would definitely confuse them though. "Your bear" - "What? My bear? I don't have a bear!"

(And it's cute that in all of our languages we're afraid to say the bear's real name, so it's just called "the brown thing")

I have only good dealings with Maksim - he does not reply to all emails, but if you put the subject as urgent -order or something, he will respond quickly

and when I placed an order for 39 Kaeru 240 mm Gyuto, he was beyond great - exceptional service
Not sure if that is the best example for what happened with this mate. If I had a business like Maksim's being a "one man show "and consequently with poor Customer Service, having an order of 39 knives from one person I would surely provide beyond great service that day. It is business and understandable.

Note, I have ordered twice with Maksim. It was great and would order again as I honestly do not care if he answers to my most likely stupid questions or not. Truly believe he does not reply to everyone because he has no time or has more important stuff to deal with. Just my 10 cents, sorry!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Not sure if that is the best example for what happened with this mate. If I had a business like Maksim's being a "one man show "and consequently with poor Customer Service, having an order of 39 knives from one person I would surely provide beyond great service that day. It is business and understandable.

Note, I have ordered twice with Maksim. It was great and would order again as I honestly do not care if he answers to my most likely stupid questions or not. Truly believe he does not reply to everyone because he has no time or has more important stuff to deal with. Just my 10 cents, sorry!

Cheers!
Sure, but sorry to ask, what does it have to do with this thread?
😅

Edit : truth is I might be jealous not to have so many French mates here on the forum to discuss how boring our grammar is.

Edit 2: ordered twice at jns. Nothing to say particular except that shipping is fast within EU, maxims provided useful answer to my questions, and has great products.
Only kudos to jns 👍

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sdo
Edit : truth is I might be jealous not to have so many French mates here on the forum to discuss how boring our grammar is.
If the European French and the Canadian French could hear each other all the time, it would certainly be interesting. :)

Sure, but sorry to ask, what does it have to do with this thread?
😅

Edit 2: ordered twice at jns. Nothing to say particular except that shipping is fast within EU, maxims provided useful answer to my questions, and has great products.
Only kudos to jns 👍

- You are not alone :)
2 - Absolutely right. Fast and great products!

Cheers!

Back