My latest "knife" purchase

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If one takes knife in the sense of sharp and shiny and cuts things. Got it at auction for less than what a good custom knife would be ($1,000)

"A shin-shinto katana, Edo period (1615-1868), 18th-19th century
Honzukuri, iorimune, chu-gissaki toriizori forged in ko-itame hada and with a choji midare tempered edge changing to gunome midare towards the upper half of the blade and with copious nie, ara-nie ashi, saka-ashi, yo, sunagashi, and chikei, the boshi ko-maru, the tang ubu with one hole and kessho file marks, with a one-piece silver-foil habaki, 25 1/4in (65.1cm) long; in a shirasaya (wood storage scabbard)"

my katana.png

That looks nice. Katanas seem to be a world that goes very deep. Can you recommend any good resources to learn about them?

To quote Jussi Ekholm from http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=31793

For beginners

Samurai - Clive Sinclaire
The Japanese Sword - Kanzan Sato
The Art of the Japanese Sword - Yoshindo Yoshihara, Leon & Hiroko Kapp
Facts and Fundamentals of Japanese Swords - Nobuo Nakahara
Arms and Armour of the Samurai - Ian Bottomley & A.P. Hopson

For advanced readers

Kantei Zenshu ( 2 volumes ) - Markus Sesko
Yamanaka Newsletters ( 4 volumes ) - Albert Yamanaka
The Connoisseurs Book of Japanese Swords - Kokan Nagayama
Nihonto Koza ( 5 volumes) - Kanzan Sato, Honma Junji
Zusetsu Nihonto Yogo Jiten - Kotoken Kajihara

His beginner's list is good. Connoisseur's Book in the advanced list is good. I don't know the others, but what I've read by Markus Sesko (see https://markussesko.com/books/ for more) and Kanzan Sato have been good, so I think his advanced list is good too.

That looks very interesting - any high res images you can upload? It is hard to appreciate the katana from the current one.

Congrats, are you going to make all new fittings for it? It would be a cool project...

This makes me think of John Belushi's samurai deli. :knife:

Back