My new obsession. More fishing gear. A big one.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I’ve been fishing a lot. If I had to name one positive attribute on our Covid-19 lockdown - it would be that it rekindled my love for fishing. Couple it with my recent decline in enthusiasm for big game hunting. I hope my hunting love decline isn’t because I’m getting older. But planning and executing an out of state big game hunt sucks. It’s a lot of work. And increasingly expensive. I have an elk hunt in Oregon this year and it gives me headaches. I was hoping to fill in hunting with more fishing.

so shore fishing. Casting for Largemouth Bass. And standing in the beach casting for perch. Staring at unreachable places, I started looking for a kayak.

three criteria:
1. Doesn’t weigh a lot
2. I can stand up in it.
3. Eventually when I get brave and more comfortable, I can take it into the Pacific Ocean.

tada! I bought a new “last years” 2019 Hobie Mirage Compass. Saved a few buck buying old new stock, but I didn’t get to choose my color and I’m not getting the updated breakaway fins, should I hit a rock or log. Whatever - I don’t even know if I’ll like being out in the water. This is my “dipping of the toe”, so to speak.

I’ll talk to my ling-cod catching aquaitence and see if he‘ll lead me out and show me how not to die out in the ocean. :)

BC09EC62-5888-4F0D-9976-211FCDBE5056.jpeg

I'm sorta shopping for a fishing kayak as well but damn, that would cut into knife money......

Following.

I'm sorta shopping for a fishing kayak as well but damn, that would cut into knife money......

Following.
funny. i had a Carothers Field knife ready to purchase. had to tell the seller i am backing out. there was no way.

I really enjoy watching this guy fish, and he does some of his fishing in a kayak.

Watch "I Caught a NEW PB!!! + NEW KAYAK! (Old Town Topwater 120 PDL Review)" on YouTube

I've even started to say what he says when he releases a fish, "see ya later buddy".

I caught a 55# WSB out of my cheap kayak I got for diving once and I thought I was gonna tip over a couple times. Def recommend getting a dedicated fishing one, haha. Unless you're in calm water or going for smaller fish.

My maiden voyage was this past Saturday. Fishing was slow but you know what? I think I got my personal BEST largemouth bass!! A three pounder! It’s definitely my biggest CA bass. I’m stoked.

I’ll go to another local lake this Saturday as well. Hehe. Tada!

90500BD5-EB91-49DE-A5A9-80E9DA1A1A6C.jpeg

Another thing you can/should do in TX if you have time is hit the coast. We were in Rockport last week for a break. House we stayed at had a 300 ft dock with two lights. Depth was probably 3.5 feet at the end of the dock. Didn't catch anything during the day but at night it was good fishing. Nothing keeper size in the speckled sea trout category. Caught 6 blue crab too that we cooked.

Attachments

• 61656755982__2B8548F6-6393-4CCE-ABCB-1E61D2E6A137.JPG
    61656755982__2B8548F6-6393-4CCE-ABCB-1E61D2E6A137.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 61657093782__87EBFBD4-8F16-400D-B7F2-18909176DB84.JPG
    61657093782__87EBFBD4-8F16-400D-B7F2-18909176DB84.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 7
i'm pushing the envelope with my wife. i asked if i could buy a new fishing rod. hahah..

SILENCE!! i got SILENCE!!

Funny thing. First night there I noticed some red line hanging off the dock. pulled it out of the wood and up. It was wrapped around one of those ugly stix dock shooters. Had a reel too. Granted, it was muddy and crusted over in barnacles, but I can say that it was the second time our family has caught a rod and reel.

IMG_20191010_121547.jpg
I am in love with spearfishing.
That's a catch from last year - an eel. Actually, a VERY delicious stuff.
Unfortunately, this summer the Covid 19 ruined my plans for massive spearfishing ...

So cool! I wish I were more comfortable in water. I’d love to try spear fishing.

I was in the ocean last weekend outside of the Golden Gate in a 30’ boat. The water was very choppy with swells at 5’ we saw two kayaks out there that we just missed running over. Stay close to the shore, don’t be stupid out there or you will die, the ocean is no joke!! I spend a lot of time on the ocean and even in a bigger boat if it’s to much we fish in the bay, be smart!! We see a lot of very dumb things people do out there don’t be them.

Back