Nakiris

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynot1985

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Nakiris, probably my fav knife

I know many of the members here are gyuto fans but can people please tell me what are some the best nakiris they have ever tried so I can add them to my list of things to try out

Thanks

I've
image_zpswfuoqxcm.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG] only ever tried the one I have now.. Tf no maraboshi 165mm.. Gets really really sharp quick

It would be a toss-up between Carter and Watanabe :knife:

wow, so many different brands.. so I assume there's no concensus on what's the best then or better brands for nakiris

I'm also a fan of nakiris. Hard to have just one favorite. Best cost/benefit would be the Itinomonn. It's a light nakiri, but thin behind the edge. On the other side of the spectrum lies Toyama 210mm, feels like a slicing cleaver. Watanabe pro and Teruyasu denka are among my favorites also.

Shigefusa kitaeji nakiri closely followed by takeda for me. Nakiris my fav knife style as well but not as practical as a 240mm gyuto tho lol

Chris

Harner, LR Harner, and Harner III in no particular order.

I like my Shigefusa Kurouchi nakiri. Was disappointed with my Takeda NAS nakiri, it had some issues so I was able to return it for credit.

Next on my list is mikedtran's Shigefusa Kitaeji nakiri :knife:

Watanabe 180 top of the list. I've a 165 Carter with a Dave M rehandle that I like a lot but is too short for anything beyond onesy twosey stuff. Had a 210 Shig that was too big to be nimble.

I've seen some great rehandle jobs on the Watanabes. They seem to lend themselves well to that.

you actually cut with your kitaejis?

I like my Shigefusa Kurouchi nakiri. Was disappointed with my Takeda NAS nakiri, it had some issues so I was able to return it for credit.

Next on my list is mikedtran's Shigefusa Kitaeji nakiri :knife:

Butch is funny in that he makes batches of knives for multiple vendors and customers all at once. If there's room on a sheet of steel, he'll try his best. I say contact him to find out. Generally, his western handles are cheaper than his wa, FYI.

Shigefusa for finesse, masamoto KK for getting it done.

Kato 180mm Workhorse Nakiri.

[video=youtube;eOv4GXn0fHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOv4GXn0fHc[/video]

An absolute powerhouse.

What are the Nakiri's with a taller height?

I bought a Sakai Takayuki Nakiri, and at 47mm at heel it just isn't tall enough to avoid board contact (for my fingers at any rate)

I've seen the Red Ocra Nakiri at JCK at 52mm which looks more like it http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html

I'm a huge fan as well. I have a kono HD, a carter HG, a swanky Harner, and a custom Tilman and would recommend them all. I like the old takeda I tried before a lot. I'd love to get my hands on a kato, wakui, yoshikane, watanabe, shig, and so on.

A former member I know was a fanatic and probably had about 20 nakiri. He's very discerning and said his best was Shigefusa and 2nd actually was Itinomon. I remember he didn't think Kato was special but I forget his others

I had two
Shigefusa KU 160 and Takeda AS 180, sold them both.
The shig had a beautiful sculpted kind of quality to it and amazing taper. Great to look at and would take as good an edge as anything. Actual performance was just ok. Wedge prone and too short. Go for at least 180.
Takedas old AS nakiri was rumored to be a best in class kind of knife but I didn't like it. Wedge prone, uncomfortable to use, felt cheap. Then again I do not like Takedas kitchen knives.

you actually cut with your kitaejis?

We need to find out if the kitaejis actually match up to the hype and price don't we 😁😁
That being said I don't think I would use my kitaeji gyuto when I get it... Well maybe not at work at least lol

Chris

New user here, I just picked up a Kochi 180 nakiri a couple weeks ago and it handles it's tasks beautifully. I cut a few cases of green onions a week and they are stupid thin now. Chives as well. What I was was really surprised with is how it performed with bruinoise of shallot. I usually use a 165 petty for the task and I thought the nakiris shape would not allow for that kind of action. Boy was I wrong. Beautiful micro shallots, blew through #5 in no time at all.

We need to find out if the kitaejis actually match up to the hype and price don't we ���� That being said I don't think I would use my kitaeji gyuto when I get it... Well maybe not at work at least lol Chris

They're hardly new knives at all, though perhaps being newly discovered by some who are currently in a frenzy over them.

A former member I know was a fanatic and probably had about 20 nakiri. He's very discerning and said his best was Shigefusa

Not the type to bother with kitaeji. This was a kasumi.

Back