New from Australia with no knife knowledge!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imy1996

Reaction score
Hi i'm new here and i'm looking into getting a good knife block set for myself when I move out of home. Problem is I have no clue on best brands or the series in those brands. I have been recommended Wusthof By someone however reviews are mixed between good and bad and there is so many different series. I've also been looking into Global and Henckels (henckels I can only get pro, pro s and four star 2 series). I will save for better knives as i'm not in a hurry. Some brands are not available in Australia without buying from overseas, which most people won't post. Other brands are not sold at many stores, so prices can be higher then they should.

Can someone please help?

If you stick around here you'll likely discover that you don't need a set (or block) really, most go for a gyuto and a petty and add from there as they feel the need. There's a lot of options for you from both Australian dealers and international shippers. Fill out the "what knife to buy questionnaire" and post it in the Kitchen Knife sub-forum and you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Welcome to KKF!

Dave

Welcome ! Where in Australia are you from?
We have a few Australian vendors here on the forums which are worth checking out.
You should check out the tojiro dp series here http://www.knivesandstones.com/tojiro-dp-series/
This is a great entry level series of knives that is recommended here often.
I would suggest starting out with a gyuto 210-240mm and a 150mm petty.
You will also need a stone if your willing to learn how to sharpen. Knives and stones has a entry level 1k/3k combination stone here
http://www.knivesandstones.com/entry-level-stones/

For more suggestions that are better catered to your specific needs you should fill out the questionnaire... But the options I suggested would give you a good starter kit for very little $

I second the tojiro dp from
Knives and stones , best bang for buck , once you get more comfortable with higher end knives we will find you a Shigefusa which is a must for all Aussie's :D

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will learn all you need to know here. Don't be afraid to get a couple of stones and start learning to sharpen, pretty much anything you mess up is repairable as you learn more. Maybe pick up a couple trash knives at a thrift shop of something just to learn to get the right angles.

Welcome. ctrippy1 has good advice. I thought it would be no problem to learn sharpening on a nice knife. totally scratched it up!

Thanks for the advice.

I'm in South Australia.

I just brought myself a Henckels four star 3 piece set. Not sure on what the knives are called, however two are what I use all the time of mums. I won't be using them until I move out of home, so i'll have plenty of time to buy a stone and some cheap knives to practice sharpening. I will probably buy more knifes, especially a santoku knife. As long as the knives are good for a household kitchen and last a while, i'll be happy.

Thanks again. :)

Back