New guy trying to navigate the world of cutlery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDuncan

Reaction score
Hey folks- thanks for approving me!

I enjoy what I feel is a good knife- but hungry for more and to appreciate the qualities IN a good, better, and great knife... I have a mish-mash of made in china chef knives and the JC Penny knife block... (stop giggling)... but recently got serious about a few hobbies and want to make this a serious pursuit of:

1- functional tool making
2- education of what tools are essential
3- how to keep 10 fingers and 10 toes in the process

I see the lines, I understand the processes- but to marry them together in practice and form is my goal.

Thanks for taking a bit of time and reading- I have been a lurker here for quite some time- and will continue to read...

See you around the forums!

Welcome :)

I'm confused whether you want to cook or make knives or both? :)

Sorry if I made it difficult- writing after work and with a 2 year old running about probably is not the best editing/proofreading opportunity... :O

I want to do both- cook and learn the skills in the kitchen... as well as be able to evaluate and prepare a good blade!

I have made a few tools and non knife items and have a serious hobby in metalworking- so this is (to me anyway) a natural progression of my curiosity and interest!

I'm NOT looking to be a Murray Carter or anything like a professional knifemaker- I want to make for me and family- personal and non commercial. This does not mean I want to just "git 'er done..." and make an excuse for a knife. I think personal achievement/standards can be on par or in some cases higher than commercial expectations.

Hope this clears it up a bit- please advise if its still foggy- new to how things flow around here so pardon my naiveté.

Kerri

Back