New handle for that project cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Never used a cleaver before, much less sharpened or put a handle on one. Learning as I go....

20200820_075447.jpg
20200820_075455.jpg
20200820_075515.jpg
20200820_075539.jpg
20200820_075549.jpg

nice looking fitment with the end caps and pin. it looks very beefy in the pics, with a lot of taper. how's it feel?

Thank you Caleb! It is tapered significantly. Both to sure up the grip during a chopping motion and also to balance the weight of the blade. The size feels good to hold, I will see what the balance feels like while using it. I still have to work on the edge a little before I use it.

Very cool!

Looks like you'll get a lot of weight shifted backwards as you say for chopping, rather than as a slicer. Which probably suits it quite well I imagine, as I recall it was a bit smaller and thicker than a normal slicer.

I re-handled one of my cheap ones yesterday, not nearly as good as your stuff, but improving.

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpeg
    IMG_1213.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 17
Thank you Cotedupy! Balance point on the cleaver is about at the second Kanji character. so not as blade forward as it was, but still enough to chop with some extra weight. Generally, I am pretty happy with it.

Your handles look awesome! Did you use some sort of spacer this time?

Nice job. I like my cleaver handles shaped like an oversized 240. Your looks very different. As long as you are happy, it’s a great feeling.

Thank you Cotedupy! Balance point on the cleaver is about at the second Kanji character. so not as blade forward as it was, but still enough to chop with some extra weight. Generally, I am pretty happy with it.

Your handles look awesome! Did you use some sort of spacer this time?

Ah right, good job! The perspective in your pics maybe makes the handle look chunkier and more tapered than it actually is. That's a pretty ideal balance point for a cleaver (imo), best of both worlds. Does sound like it was a bit too blade forward before.

Continuing the theme of using bits of firewood to make handles - the spacer on mine is just a slice cut off the end of a bit of (pine) kindling.

Back