New high quality gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new knife to replace (or complement) my current gyuto. I also have a Takeda Nakiri that I use for vegetables like onions, chilies, shallots, tomatoes so the new gyuto won't need to perform well for this kind of task. I want something tough, it doesn't need the best edge retention. Ease of sharpening is a big plus. Still happy to listen to suggestions for PM steels if people think they fit the bill.

Australia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto or Kiritsuke

Are you right or left handed?
Right.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210-240

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
~$850usd.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home environment (primary knife)

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing harder vegetables (sweet potato, pumpkin, etc), slicing boneless meat.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
A cheaper 210mm AS gyuto.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slicing, push cut, I'll also use this knife for rocking potentially but that's not an impor

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I'm flexible with aesthetics but based on the price it should have good fit and finish.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Current knife is very light, I'd like something potentially heavier for tougher tasks

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Less wedging, easier to sharpen

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Edge retention isn't particularly important, happy to sharpen often on stones.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
End grain maple board.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, I'm still in a learning stage. I find my flat grind nakiri quite easy to sharpen but have more trouble with the gyuto.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, but already have a range of stones at different grits.

I don't know much about knives, but at that price I would get a TF denka/maboroshi with a wa handle. https://www.teruyasu.net/products/gyuto.html looks like theyre out of the ebony handle, but you might be able to fit a custom handle with the price if you do the 210 vs the 240. I've read some mixed reviews about TFs though

850 USD is a lot of bikkies to drop on a knife. If you are prepared to spend less (this time), there are some cheaper options which are still excellent knives and well worth your consideration.

I'm a little confused because you said that you want a knife for tall had veggies with less wedging (one would normally recommend a thinner knife for these) but you also said that you wanted a thicker knife.

At this price point, I'd have a look at a custom from Mert Tansu (aka chefcomesback) who makes great workhorses. Chadd Smith (Tristone blades) makes really nice thinner stainless knives. Both of these aussie custom makers finish their knives beautifully.

At Knives and Stones, look at Akebono. It's thinner knife but with quite a robust spine and a flat profile in blue2 steel. Do you live in Sydney? It's certainly worth a visit to KnS, which is located in St Peters IIRC.

You could also look at Watanabe or Toyama. Ironclad blue 2 in a fantastic workhorse grind.

Dave Martell's knives are also woth a look. They tend to be thinner. He makes them in carbon (52100) or PM stainless. Fit and finish is also beautiful on Dave's knives.

I'm a little confused because you said that you want a knife for tall had veggies with less wedging (one would normally recommend a thinner knife for these) but you also said that you wanted a thicker knife.

Thanks for the responses. I should have added my current gyuto has enough flex in it that going through harder vegetables feels a bit risky sometimes. I don't need a thick knife necessarily, just one that can handle harder vegetables safely.

The Akebono's robust spine but thinness behind the edge may help here. It's a great blade for big sweet potato, pumpkins and spaghetti squash.

My Martell is one of his thicker grinds (still moderately thin) and it also performs well in this role.

I'd also have a look at the Gesshin Gengetsu.

Do you want to consider less expensive knives? Have a look at Tanaka, Shiro Kamo Syousin Suminagashi and Kurosaki Syousin Chiku.

You may want to check out the Masashi Kobo from aframes an excellent knife.
A slightly different profile but one I adapted to really easy, and a superb cutter.
Nemo has suggested a lot of good knives, I really like the Shiro Kamo R2, Syousin suminagash, a really good all round knife.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I ended up contacting Mert and should have something made in the next few months.

Back