Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aikon2020

Reaction score
Hello! Im a new member from Sweden that want to learn more about kitchen knives.

Especially about paper steels that I like! For an example, which angles can aogami #2 being able to handle? As thin as 10 degrees per side?

Welcome to the forums.

Any particular reason for your interest in paper steels? They are roughly eqivalent to similar steels available in other markets. For example, White2 and 1095 are quite similar. There is a European naming system that I could never get my head around but I'm sure they have a similar steel. Indeed, Swedish steel is renowned for containing few impurities (something to do with your iron ore deposits), and many famous Japanese knives are made from one type of Swedish steel or another.

Blue2 should indeed be able to sustain 10dps presumimg a good heat treatment. Probably even less.

You should check ot some of @stringer 's durability test threads. From memory, he started with a zero grind and used a gradually more conservative edge bevel until the edge held up. IIRC, one of the knives tested was on a Watanabe Pro, which is a fairly hard heat treatment of blue2.

Welcome to the forums.

Any particular reason for your interest in paper steels? They are roughly eqivalent to similar steels available in other markets. For example, White2 and 1095 are quite similar. There is a European naming system that I could never get my head around but I'm sure they have a similar steel. Indeed, Swedish steel is renowned for containing few impurities (something to do with your iron ore deposits), and many famous Japanese knives are made from one type of Swedish steel or another.

Blue2 should indeed be able to sustain 10dps presumimg a good heat treatment. Probably even less.

You should check ot some of @stringer 's durability test threads. From memory, he started with a zero grind and used a gradually more conservative edge bevel until the edge held up. IIRC, one of the knives tested was on a Watanabe Pro, which is a fairly hard heat treatment of blue2.

Thank you!
I dont know what it is but the paper steels have some kind of romantic appeal for me, and I love the sharpness I get! :)

Back