obsessive .... moi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazyboy

Reaction score
Home cook, now I'm learning lots from the wisdom, wit, hyperbole, and understatement that fills this great forum. Thought my Tojiros were good until I found this place ...

Looking for more reasons to cook now I've been bitten by knife obsession (from randomly watching a sharpening vid on Youtube in March, to a growing collection of knives and stones ... ).

I live in Straya (that's Australia to everyone else).

Next on the list is a nice parer to replace the Tojiro 90 mm

Since March I have acquired the following (already had the VG10 Tojiro DP 210 Gyuto, 150 petty, and 90 parer):

Kurosaki, Syousin Chiku Migaki Gyuto 210 (AS, SS clad)
Kotetsu Iron Clad Petty 150 (R2)

Naniwa Chosera 400
Suehiro Cerax 1500
Arashiyama 6000

Oak End grain board also acquired (5 x 38 x 29cm)

Welcome mate.

Not a bad start. How do you like the Kurosaki?

You after a parer or a petty?

Where abouts are you from?

Welcome mate.

Not a bad start. How do you like the Kurosaki?

You after a parer or a petty?

Where abouts are you from?

This will sound soooo noob, but after the Tojiro, the Kurosaki is "great"! At 3.6mm spine width at the heel, it's got some weight to it, but tapers nicely. No splitting of large carrots or parsnips, but not yet tried bigger dense veg like pumpkin or sweet potato. I'm still getting used to the geometry, but so far, happy enough!

From northern end of the Gold Coast.

Looking for a parer. Quite like the lambsfoot profile of the Tojiro 90mm, but certainly a quite flat profile on a parer. But I have to keep reminding my obsessive brain that there's no rush to replace, the parer I have does the job well enough (in hand, peeling, fruit etc). But I guess that's almost a heretical statement on here .... :)

I reckon the Kurosaki is a pretty good thinnish (but not laser) knife. It's spine is thickish at the heel, but it has a wicked taper.

I do envy you Queenslanders this time of year... It's starting to get cold here now. By northern GC do you mean Southport?

I do envy you Queenslanders this time of year... It's starting to get cold here now. By northern GC do you mean Southport?

Live not far from Southport. And right now, I'm in UK til mid-June, so I'm missing the QLD weather too!

I think very few here wouldn't call Tojiros "good". Some would disagree they're great, that's all :)

Thanks all for the welcomes, especially those from the land down under.

Compared to the Wusthof and Victorinox knives that are currently out for general family use, the Tojiros are great! Compared to my new acquisitions .... I'll now be putting the Tojiros out for family use.

Back