Petty 150mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexec

Reaction score

Australia, soon Europe

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Utility- petty 150mm

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Any

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
150mm to 165mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Up to 250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Im actually interested in japanese blades, i dont have problem with either carbon or semi stainless or high powder metals.
While i am in australia id like to have some recomendations from KnS website or any other high quality product website that can get me the knives ill decide to buy before friday.
Thanks and sorry for the lots i ask for

I’m not sure what’s cost effective for Aussies but at the moment I’m looking at stainless clad pettys myself. I like the value of a Yoshikane SKD Petty and the masashi Petty sld w/saya at aframes. Watanabe makes stainless clad Pettys also.

I’m not sure what’s cost effective for Aussies but at the moment I’m looking at stainless clad pettys myself. I like the value of a Yoshikane SKD Petty and the masashi Petty sld w/saya at aframes. Watanabe makes stainless clad Pettys also.

Preety much same affordability aroud the world. I like those too, i cant find them in australia though

Masashi petty is awesome by the way, bought my parents one two christmases ago and want to take it back whenever I cook at their place. Great little performer, love the chestnut handle and a saya to boot. That said, Tanaka vg10 from kns has a very pedestrian but comfortable partial tang western handle, and a great profile and grind imo. Heel height and edge orientation make it one of the most usable pretties I've handled on the cutting board, without being clunky for hand work. Had a fine time on the stones for all of vg10's bad reputation. Super cheap too, I've gifted and sold off a half dozen or more to help upgrade friends and coworkers.

Yeah the Tanaka I linked is actually ginsanko, and I own the very same petty but w cheaper handle. It sharpens up fine. Good to hear about masashi. I’m pretty sure that’s gonna be mine soon.

Back