Philadelphia area recommended sharpener -- even skilled amateur?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Neighbor has a few knives that he would like sharpened. AFAIK, none in bad shape. And none may be Japanese (but rather made by decent American knife makers). My guess is that he might also desire some polishing. He intends to acquire one or more stones and learn sharpening, but in the meantime anyone that could be recommended? (I touched up one of his knives a few months ago, and that seemed to inspire him, but I am too much of a novice to in good conscience do more sharpening for him.)

Of course Jon Broida and Dave Martell immediately come to mind as far as outstanding sharpeners -- if, under normal circumstances, he were willing to mail his knives to them -- but Jon's website says he is currently only doing Japanese knives, and Dave Martell is apparently moving and not currently sharpening.

Seems to me there might be some KKF member in the Philadelphia area who not only is rather good at sharpening -- probably lots of chefs and amateurs who competently maintain their own knives -- but also would be willing to sharpen a few knives belonging to someone else, for a reasonable fee.

Suggestions, leads?

Thanks!

Larrybard,
If your friend is willing to mail his knives, you might want to see if David Holly of Knifemerchant.com would take the job. They were in California, and they've either moved, or set up a new facility in Tennessee. Their master sharpener, a guy named Bill, is a superb sharpener. They've stated in the past that they'd sharpen knives even if they were not bought there.

Thanks much for the information! Fortunately, I've identified a sharpener in whom I have great confidence -- I watched him sharpen one of Marc's knives at the last ECG -- and inasmuch as he's within driving distance of me I intend to stop by and try him.

Latest posts

Back