R2/SGR2 knives: edge retention and sharpness

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah not saying its hard to deal with... it is now why i keep my loaded felt strop and takenoko at the base of my knife block, rather than with my sharpening gear... so they are handy for the quick touch ups

I love the Takenoko for dry stropping, learned here. Mine is in a draw close by my knife block too.

edge retention and sharpness are such squishy subjects. what is your baseline? how are you testing? other than the occasional CARTA test, about the only true tests I have seen are here http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?3,1664 where subject knives were all sharpened at the same edge angle and the same stones, then made thousands of cuts in the same grade of cardboard.

CATRA always looks to me like a test appropriate to say, evaluating machine knives for industrial applications, not kitchen tools...

I'll confirm what Benuser said earlier, R2 seems to create a very keen but "toothy" kind of edge. With a cheap 4K grit stone mine slices onion <0.5mm, completely limp kinda thin, yet in cutting paper towel you actually feel it snagging on the fibers quite strongly. And as another said, I believe you could strop to a very high polish and it won't slip on tomato skin.

My Takamura Migaki is definitely very micro-chip prone, for board work a 20deg/side micro-bevel is really indicated, so long as the Migaki I have goes anyway. Funny thing about the PM steels I've tried is that they still cut quite good with a fully microchipped edge. Other Migakis may have gotten a better HT than mine, and most likely the pricey Tanakas are consistently much better here.

R2 will not hold an edge anywhere near as well as SRS-15, and certainly not anything like M390, and I can personally say that SRS-15 will hold it's initial sharp much better than R2.

The properties I like in R2 and what makes it my personal go-to knife (I mostly do fine slicing in-hand or with tip-contnact-only on the board) is the fact that it is fully stainless and gets as sharp as just about anything, and here displays very good edge retention, especially with a lot of acid foods thrown in.

Back