Rakuten: Tojiro PM (SG2?) 240 ~$115 USD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or, you could buy a knife instead of a project...

Totally agree. What is your time worth to you (or how much money do you make per hour)? Projects knives are a huge time-sucker. I have learned a lot from the many hours spent thinning out knives, but it's certainly not worth the cost savings of buying a less expensive knife.

I think it's up to each person to decide what's worth it to them. Projects are fun. A hundred bucks ain't nothing but it's definitely not egregious in light of the colossal amounts of money spent on knives around these parts. Plus it's a learning experience and very rewarding when you get it right. Making a new handle, thinning, and refinishing this knife would probably take me up to 20 hours, spread out over a couple weeks -- here and there, when I have the time -- and, end up costing about $150 in parts. What's that, the equivalent of a couple decent date nights with the missus? So for the same cost I get a couple weeks worth of entertainment and enjoyment, and something cool to show for it at the end -- plus the experience and understanding from the project.

To each his own I guess!

I want a project knife to. I think im going to buy an old used knife off ebay or a member here and refinish it. Might be worth posting in the bst. Grab a decent knife in rough s hape and refurbish It.

I think it's up to each person to decide what's worth it to them.... plus the experience and understanding from the project.
To each his own I guess!

I've no problem with the concept of a project knife. If you find rework, handle replacement, and fine-tuning rewarding then have at it, post pictures, etc. I envy your abilities.

But you presented this as a worthwhile endeavor. "This" being buying a questionable (at best) knife, from the Japanese equivalent of Wally Mart, and knowing that extensive repair and rework will be required, all before it will perform as well as readily available knives from reputable vendors at the same price point. (And did you notice the part about "No Returns'?)

Ludicrous, ill-advised, and senseless all come readily to mind. Not the part about the project knife. Rather the part about your suggestion/endorsement being seen by a newer member as practical.

But you presented this as a worthwhile endeavor. "This" being buying a questionable (at best) knife, from the Japanese equivalent of Wally Mart, and knowing that extensive repair and rework will be required, all before it will perform as well as readily available knives from reputable vendors at the same price point. (And did you notice the part about "No Returns'?)

Not to derail the thread but why the PM Tojiro is questionable and the DP is so highly regarded?

Not to derail the thread but why the PM Tojiro is questionable and the DP is so highly regarded?

I think some of the VG-10 Tojiro knives are good value at the price they're sold at. Some of them are horrible (like the 210mm petty/suji which is one thick chunk of steel with the worst grind ever) and some, like the Western debas and the nakiri, are highly regarded. I have absolutely no experience with the powdered steel knives from Tojiro. They're good at the pricepoint. No one's going to be raving about Tojiro's as their favorite knife. I say the exception is the Western debas. I think I could chop wood with the Tojiro 240 western deba. And the knife wouldn't care.

By whom? I'm not a fan of the Tojiro, but will grant my experience with them is limited. The one's I've tried (both carbon and DP) felt blocky and not well balanced, F/F almost required rehandling, the spine was as sharp as the blade, the carbon variant would rather rust than cut. They are probably good knives at their price point for the rigors of a professional kitchen but I can't see any homeowner application. I used "questionable" for the PM based on the OP's description of needing thinning and rehandling, the vendor's oft repeated description as "commercial" and "professional", *** is an "ECO" handle? and the "No Return" policy after purchase.

In Chiffonodd's defense(not that he needs any), his original post is phrased as a question...

Thanks Josh. Wasn't trying to shout down the OP, just disagreeing with his premise, Adding a question mark does not make it a question.

i don't know if i am allowed to say anything, please feel free to remove my comments.

Edit.

Thanks but as a vendor of the knife you should not comment here. It's a fine line to walk and this is a difficult part of moderation. If any inteested parties pose a question in your sub-forum then your response there would be appropriate and welcome. DB

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like it'll be an excellent performer; handle seems to be eased as well. I'll have to look into picking one up at some point.

It looks thinner than the DP series (which is a good thing). I say try it out and let us know what you think. ;) I don't know if I've ever met a Tojiro gyuto with a decent distal taper.

By whom? I'm not a fan of the Tojiro, but will grant my experience with them is limited. The one's I've tried (both carbon and DP) felt blocky and not well balanced, F/F almost required rehandling, the spine was as sharp as the blade, the carbon variant would rather rust than cut. They are probably good knives at their price point for the rigors of a professional kitchen but I can't see any homeowner application. I used "questionable" for the PM based on the OP's description of needing thinning and rehandling, the vendor's oft repeated description as "commercial" and "professional", *** is an "ECO" handle? and the "No Return" policy after purchase.

Thanks Josh. Wasn't trying to shout down the OP, just disagreeing with his premise, Adding a question mark does not make it a question.

I saw this as more of a: "Whatta you folks think about this thing, that we're all kinda interested in, that I stumbled upon while roaming around on the internets?" And less: "This is gonna make all those old forgecraft projects pale by comparison! Hop on this if you wanna rehab a worthwhile knife!" Maybe my filters need changing...

I'm curious about the knife myself, let us know how it performs if you do order it

I saw this as more of a: "Whatta you folks think about this thing, that we're all kinda interested in, that I stumbled upon while roaming around on the internets?" And less: "This is gonna make all those old forgecraft projects pale by comparison! Hop on this if you wanna rehab a worthwhile knife!" Maybe my filters need changing...

+1

Gotta luv this site.
Any where else and this would have ended ugly. Here, everyone takes each other with a good modicum of respect and has the ability to give the benefit of the doubt.
I can honestly say that this is the only place where I have yet to find participants that like to brawl. Refreshing.
Cheers to a good forum.

Back