Ryusen hamono contract

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up the last bu-rei-zen from epic edge. Guy at the shop said hocho-knife is the exclusive retailer for Ryusen now, a contract has been signed. And price is jacked up and locked at $600 range.

@JBroida can you confirm? I know you have Ryusen at your shop

600 for a beater? Lol
Right? Even at 300 I feel like I overpaid, but it fits the criteria I was after. Western handle, perfect grind, nice taper. a little shorter at the heel than I’m after and the profile is meh but it will be as good of a beater there is.

Hocho seem to have a US distributor in Florida. Hocho have crazier pricing than Hitohira. 20% spring sale though...so tempting ...NOT

Just to nitpick, it’s in Kirkland, not really Seattle. Everyone living there would remind you of that.

As would we over here on the other side of the lake. It's a pedantic geographic argument and really one where prior to a day ago one which would lead you to have to reference Seattle anyway.

As would we over here on the other side of the lake. It's a pedantic geographic argument and really one where prior to a day ago one which would lead you to have to reference Seattle anyway.
Simple...Because I live on Lake Union in Seattle and Kirkland is not Seattle... as Oakland is not San Francisco, San Bernardino is not Los Angles. There was a question of location. Do you think Kirkland is Seattle?

I know where Oakland and SB are, but never heard of Kirkland. Seattle is close enough as an outoftowner

Simple...Because I live on Lake Union in Seattle and Kirkland is not Seattle... as Oakland is not San Francisco, San Bernardino is not Los Angles. There was a question of location. Do you think Kirkland is Seattle?
whatever who cares. I only referenced seattle because no one further than Tacoma even knows where Kirkland is. More importantly we got a good seattle crew here in this thread. You a cook?

I just picked up the last bu-rei-zen from epic edge. Guy at the shop said hocho-knife is the exclusive retailer for Ryusen now, a contract has been signed. And price is jacked up and locked at $600 range.

@JBroida can you confirm? I know you have Ryusen at your shop

Not that I am aware of... we have a contract with them and deal directly. I was not aware of hocho-knife having exclusive rights as that would contradict our contract.

FYI, ryusen lists their official dealers on their website... but you can just take a look on there

Last edited:
Not that I am aware of... we have a contract with them and deal directly. I was not aware of hocho-knife having exclusive rights as that would contradict our contract.

I hope you don't have an issue with this contract as I'm looking forward to buying one of your Ryusen Pettys that you just ordered ;-)

I hope you don't have an issue with this contract as I'm looking forward to buying one of your Ryusen Pettys that you just ordered ;-)

I’m sure it’s nothing at all... not sure about the other company, but if you go to ryusen’s website, anyone can see who is an official dealer. Interestingly, they have been trying to be on top of quality control and consistency, and as such they are moving to a system where they only deal with repairs and warranty issues when purchases from an official dealer, hence our reason to have a contract with them.

Interesting. The dude at the shop was saying they’re running out of stock and Ryusen won’t send them anymore product. Although it was just one of the shop dudes and not Dan O’Malley, perhaps I will give him a call to straighten out the info.

Interesting. The dude at the shop was saying they’re running out of stock and Ryusen won’t send them anymore product. Although it was just one of the shop dudes and not Dan O’Malley, perhaps I will give him a call to straighten out the info.

Sounds like speculation. Some guy at Epic Edge also told me that no Shigefusa knives are being made any more so I'd take what they say with a dose of salt.

Sounds like speculation. Some guy at Epic Edge also told me that no Shigefusa knives are being made any more so I'd take what they say with a dose of salt.

I wouldn't crap on ee for this. Sounds like ryusen is just attempting to reduce it's no. of retailers, create exclusivity, and improve its ability to enforce msrp. Kind of a d*ck move cutting out reputable retailers but that's their prerogative?

Coincidentally, price increase.

I wouldn't crap on ee for this. Sounds like ryusen is just attempting to reduce it's no. of retailers, create exclusivity, and improve its ability to enforce msrp. Kind of a d*ck move cutting out reputable retailers but that's their prerogative?

Coincidentally, price increase.

I think you guys would be surprised by the number of people who do not shop directly with them, but rather go through wholesalers. They’ve been reducing the number of wholesalers for quite some time, as they are trying to find people that sit with their company philosophy better.

Back