Show me your horn...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a reason why most high end Japanese handle makers don't opt to construct their ferrules with the horn enclosing the entire top (where the tang goes in)? IMO it looks much cleaner when you can't see the wood/filler around the tang.

See for example, probably my two nicest J-knife handles: a Tanaka x Kyuzo (made by Taihei) and a FM Damascus vs a Nigara (from Homebutcher) and a Mazaki (Knives & Stones).

View attachment 271583View attachment 271584
Could be due to cost savings. If you want the full piece, that requires a solid chunk of horn. I've seen whole horn sold which sometimes has hollow portions that you can't really use if you want to do a full front.

Could be due to cost savings. If you want the full piece, that requires a solid chunk of horn. I've seen whole horn sold which sometimes has hollow portions that you can't really use if you want to do a full front.
Cost savings would definitely make sense – but I'd have imagined Hitohira and Konosuke would be sourcing the nicest handles they could for those particular knife lines, so I was wondering if there's some other reason I'm not thinking of. On the other hand, those knives from K&S and Homebutcher are far from the highest end (e.g. I could see K&S saving the nicest handles for the honsanmai lines).

Cost savings would definitely make sense – but I'd have imagined Hitohira and Konosuke would be sourcing the nicest handles they could for those particular knife lines, so I was wondering if there's some other reason I'm not thinking of. On the other hand, those knives from K&S and Homebutcher are far from the highest end (e.g. I could see K&S saving the nicest handles for the honsanmai lines)
Also depend on how it's connected internally. The one where you see the wood on the inside is a mortise/tenon connection, where the front of the wood is turned down to a narrower diameter than the rest of the handle. And the ferrule has a hole straight thru that simply fits over the narrower part.

Using the same method, u can also do a closed cap, all that's really needed is to not drill the ferrule hole all the way thru.

An easier way would just to do a butt joint rather than mortise/tenon wood to ferrule, and then make the tang hole after. Cant always say for sure what construction method is used for a closed front handle without opening it up.

There's pros and cons with each method. Slightly diff details for materials, process, and time.

I think KNS used to have a post about this, but I would guess it stems from Japanese makers using the traditional methods. And the aim there I believe was to stop the wood from splitting by putting a horn collar around it, not necessarily caring about creating the cleanest possible aesthetics.

First use of my AliExpress haul… cute little horn spacer on this petty handle

IMG_1825.jpeg

Is there a reason why most high end Japanese handle makers don't opt to construct their ferrules with the horn enclosing the entire top (where the tang goes in)? IMO it looks much cleaner when you can't see the wood/filler around the tang.

See for example, probably my two nicest J-knife handles: a Tanaka x Kyuzo (made by Taihei) and a FM Damascus vs a Nigara (from Homebutcher) and a Mazaki (Knives & Stones).
I actually prefer the ones one the left.

I actually prefer the ones one the left.
Me too!

I think seeing the mortice and tenon construction is cool, especially when everything looks crisp and even, and it’s way less stinky to work with when filing/burning in new handles etc.

For anyone who hasn’t filed/burnt in horn, it’s hard to describe how bad it is - like burning hair x10.

My cat walked into the room I was filing some horn down in the other week, retched and then wouldn’t go back in for the rest of the day… This was with all the windows open too.

Latest posts

Back