Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, my daughter loves those knives. During a recent dinner prep she says "No dad, we need to use my knives. They're sharper." I proceeded to be kicked off the cutting board so she could cut the zucchini.
Update:

Daughter: "Dad, I need the cheese that tastes like cheese sticks."
Me: "Okay sweetheart, here's the mozzarella."
Daughter: "Yes, okay that's 'xactly what I was talking about. Okay, remember this is the kids cutting place and that one over there is for grown ups."
*Finishes cutting*
"Okay dad, here's the snacks. Come with me. Can you put on Batgirl on the TV? We're at the movies now."

1000007688.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

Daughter: "Dad, I need the cheese that tastes like cheese sticks."
Me: "Okay sweetheart, here's the mozzarella."
Daughter: "Yes, okay that's 'xactly what I was talking about. Okay, remember this is the kids cutting place and that one over there is for grown ups."
*Finishes cutting*
"Okay dad, here's the snacks. Come with me. Can you put on Batgirl on the TV. We're at the movies now."

View attachment 320528
I got grown adults in the kitchen who can't be taught to claw grip, nice work xD

View attachment 320382finally took the leap and replaced my first japanese gyuto as my preferences have gotten more clear and I don't use it anymore. Was I little nervous at the price point, but what can I say, the hype is real. It really deserves a real writeup for those who can't hold one before they buy. Initial impression after cutting "okay, I get it"

The ridiculously low price on Shindo is exactly part of the allure.

TF and jiro are both wonderful knives, but due to the price tag, there are always going to be some critique on them. Whilst I think most of us can see pass the obvious flaws in Shindo, and that's why I've yet to see a single negative post about them.

Xerxes batch knife came in today. Passed the onion and sweet potato test with flying colors. Little bit of stiction on the sweet potato but not bad. Has a nice beefy spine and carries the weight well. Mine spec'd out at 224x53, 237g. Reminds me a lot of recent eddworks gyutos I've gotten to use.

Attachments

• D4231A64-5F50-45D5-BFD4-CBBEF08CCE9F.jpeg
    D4231A64-5F50-45D5-BFD4-CBBEF08CCE9F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The ridiculously low price on Shindo is exactly part of the allure.

TF and jiro are both wonderful knives, but due to the price tag, there are always going to be some critique on them. Whilst I think most of us can see pass the obvious flaws in Shindo, and that's why I've yet to see a single negative post about them.
It makes sense, I'm guessing the compromises are also what makes them able to keep the performance at the level they come at.

sorry know this is not a review section, but had to put the thoughts down somewhere - as all the information i mostly found was what a great knife for the price point, buy two of these instead of X. Legendary food release for the price, comparable with heavier knives.

The handle - I am in the minority that I actually like an oval handle with plastic ferule and don't mind the step. But this wood was real light, and very slick to the touch. I actually sanded mine with some 120 grit to improve the grip a little. Honestly does likely make the blade a little more forward balanced then the guys who replaces the handle. And i do quite like the balance point of it as is.

The weight - is a tiny bit on the light side for my preference but not nothing like a hd2 or moritaka to compare it to something people know (sorry i know they have quite a following, but they were almost an instant nope for me when i tried them in hand at the store). I think the blade height and profile aids in keeping the blade feeling substantial and balanced enough still

The grind- in generally not the biggest fan of concave grinds but it does somehow seem to have a correlation to cheap thin behind the edge knives somehow. And it is thin enough that it does not wedge and cuts quite satisfactory for a picky user. I am personally for Convex > Flat > concave, but this does nicely. It will be either flat or convex in its future which i am personally looking forward to, as cutting one type of ingredient does not tell the full story concave grind can increase the friction as much as it can decrease it imo.
Profile was very cleanly curved all the way but the belly is not very pronounced, tip was i tiny bit higher then i thourght but its okay honestly.

The sandblast - i dont think the secondary bevel was super refined, but the sandblast helped make it look very cool. I generally dont like a temporary finish on a knife, and am looking forward to erasing this and putting a kasumi on it.

The food release - as per above, is very circumstancial, but i did some test cuts on a couple of potatoes, and i am excited to cut some more. The Quote on quote double concave grind definately does something good for the food release. I suspect the sandblasted finish does also aid a little in reducing stiction.

The forging consistancy/finish - Iron clad - it comes with a nice taper, which is not the cleanest but this seems more of a design choise as you can see all the hammer marks down along the knife, and extending to the spine at points. it have this intentionally thick spot at the heel into the tang where your pinch grip goes. And honestly mine seems a little more consistant and refined than it looks as pictured by some vendors. I am quite a fan of it, and it does serve a purpose too. My tang also seemed a little taller then it is pictured at some vendors, this was one of my main points of concern, i dont know if the blacksmith just improved a little over time, but this was a nice surprise. Also the KU seems very nice in person, will see how it holds up after lacquer wears off.

The initial edge - The edge seemed very agressive, not low angle but toothy and a tiny bit unstable as some Japanese knives comes out. It was very thin directly behind the edge, and a pleasure on the stone, went for binsui with tomo so far, but it would not hurt it to go a little lower first time around i think.

The steel - Aogami 2, so not as hard and sophisticated as like a blue super or something. But this fits perfectly with my preferences.

So i guess the short story is: cheap light handle alot of the fansboys replace these for good reason, medium-high 210 (50 ish height) - compensates for the slight lack of meat, ground concave to feel lasery - looking forward to grinding that away, quick sandblast finish to make it pretty ootb - looking forward to grinding that away, at first glace great food release, good but slightly inconsistant taper, hammer finish your opinion may simply vary on, ootb edge which could use some work, not the highest grade steel - what a legend. if i am being real and nitpicky about what i feel could be improved, it could be a little stronger in draw cutting if it had a tiny bit more substance.

Oooh hell yes! I seriously regret not buying a honesuki from Eddie early on and that nakiri inspired one of my upcoming customs from him. What are the measurements on that? I'd love to hear how that one treats you!

Oooh hell yes! I seriously regret not buying a honesuki from Eddie early on and that nakiri inspired one of my upcoming customs from him. What are the measurements on that? I'd love to hear how that one treats you!
It’s a super fun little nakiri. Haven’t really used it yet but test cuts are great
It’s 155x61 with a s “grind” although the s seems forged in
The Honesuki is robust but nimble
Really loving all his works

It’s a super fun little nakiri. Haven’t really used it yet but test cuts are great
Can you do a spine shot on the nakiri please

i started to see 155mm nakiri everywhere. I have always thought 180 is the standard and 165 is already pretty short. I now also have a 155mm on the way. I'm really curious how it feels.

It makes sense, I'm guessing the compromises are also what makes them able to keep the performance at the level they come at.

sorry know this is not a review section, but had to put the thoughts down somewhere - as all the information i mostly found was what a great knife for the price point, buy two of these instead of X. Legendary food release for the price, comparable with heavier knives.

The handle - I am in the minority that I actually like an oval handle with plastic ferule and don't mind the step. But this wood was real light, and very slick to the touch. I actually sanded mine with some 120 grit to improve the grip a little. Honestly does likely make the blade a little more forward balanced then the guys who replaces the handle. And i do quite like the balance point of it as is.

The weight - is a tiny bit on the light side for my preference but not nothing like a hd2 or moritaka to compare it to something people know (sorry i know they have quite a following, but they were almost an instant nope for me when i tried them in hand at the store). I think the blade height and profile aids in keeping the blade feeling substantial and balanced enough still

The grind- in generally not the biggest fan of concave grinds but it does somehow seem to have a correlation to cheap thin behind the edge knives somehow. And it is thin enough that it does not wedge and cuts quite satisfactory for a picky user. I am personally for Convex > Flat > concave, but this does nicely. It will be either flat or convex in its future which i am personally looking forward to, as cutting one type of ingredient does not tell the full story concave grind can increase the friction as much as it can decrease it imo.
Profile was very cleanly curved all the way but the belly is not very pronounced, tip was i tiny bit higher then i thourght but its okay honestly.

The sandblast - i dont think the secondary bevel was super refined, but the sandblast helped make it look very cool. I generally dont like a temporary finish on a knife, and am looking forward to erasing this and putting a kasumi on it.

The food release - as per above, is very circumstancial, but i did some test cuts on a couple of potatoes, and i am excited to cut some more. The Quote on quote double concave grind definately does something good for the food release. I suspect the sandblasted finish does also aid a little in reducing stiction.

The forging consistancy/finish - Iron clad - it comes with a nice taper, which is not the cleanest but this seems more of a design choise as you can see all the hammer marks down along the knife, and extending to the spine at points. it have this intentionally thick spot at the heel into the tang where your pinch grip goes. And honestly mine seems a little more consistant and refined than it looks as pictured by some vendors. I am quite a fan of it, and it does serve a purpose too. My tang also seemed a little taller then it is pictured at some vendors, this was one of my main points of concern, i dont know if the blacksmith just improved a little over time, but this was a nice surprise. Also the KU seems very nice in person, will see how it holds up after lacquer wears off.

The initial edge - The edge seemed very agressive, not low angle but toothy and a tiny bit unstable as some Japanese knives comes out. It was very thin directly behind the edge, and a pleasure on the stone, went for binsui with tomo so far, but it would not hurt it to go a little lower first time around i think.

The steel - Aogami 2, so not as hard and sophisticated as like a blue super or something. But this fits perfectly with my preferences.

So i guess the short story is: cheap light handle alot of the fansboys replace these for good reason, medium-high 210 (50 ish height) - compensates for the slight lack of meat, ground concave to feel lasery - looking forward to grinding that away, quick sandblast finish to make it pretty ootb - looking forward to grinding that away, at first glace great food release, good but slightly inconsistant taper, hammer finish your opinion may simply vary on, ootb edge which could use some work, not the highest grade steel - what a legend. if i am being real and nitpicky about what i feel could be improved, it could be a little stronger in draw cutting if it had a tiny bit more substance.
Maybe our Saint is not as consistent as I thought he's.

My gyuto is closer to 220 with a convex grind, although the convex is not as pronounced as his nakiri

Can you do a spine shot on the nakiri please

i started to see 155mm nakiri everywhere. I have always thought 180 is the standard and 165 is already pretty short. I now also have a 155mm on the way. I'm really curious how it feels.
I haven’t used it much but seems like it’d be great for small veg prep
Light and nimble

Maybe our Saint is not as consistent as I thought he's.

My gyuto is closer to 220 with a convex grind, although the convex is not as pronounced as his nakiri
Had to go back and check if I was just me being confused. Used the spine of a knife placed on the bevel and shined a light from behind there were a definate light in the middle and dark by the edge and top of the bevel indicating concavity. I also tested with placing pressure on different places of the bevel to see if the spine rose differently. Seems concave to me, but haven't had it on stones yet. The concavity above the bevel was much prominent then I originally imagined. I hope I did not paint it in a bad light with your comment it did exceed my expectations tbh even with all the forum hype

Back