Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have not been able to get full knife view with damascus pattern but close-up view of a kikuryu is shown below

Nice looking catcheside! How are you finding it?

So far, so good! Thick spine and heavy but nimble knife, makes a great opposing blade to my Rodrigue midtech which is just stupid thin. Really enjoying it. Amazing fit and finish as expected, very comfortable handle. Took a fast and stable patina as well. Excellent edge out of the box, had no issues cutting most things. Just an all around good cutter, with heft, and excellent balance. Definitely has quickly become my go-to blade for everyday cutting. Makes me want to try some full custom work from Will in all honesty. Havent taken to stones yet, but I am excited to.

Also worth noting - fantastic customer service, and a really enjoyable purchase experience. I am really impressed all around.

IMG_5218.jpg

Just came from Tosho, great transaction.
Small NAS Mioroshi

After searching about 50 thrift stores and antique malls looking for good vintage kitchen knives I finally found one. This is a (no, that is not rust) Forgecraft carbon steel cleaver. Made in the 50's and looks to have never been sharpened. The odd coloring you see in the photo on the lower part of the blade looks to be the factory protective coating that sill has not been worn off.

Gotten bitten by the damascus bug a little bit even since I saw the ZKramer Damascus in person, but eventually got this one instead because of the deal from last month:

IMG_8950.jpg

IMG_8958.jpg

IMG_8985.jpg

Birthday present. Masakage Yuki Bunka 170
C1CC5C52-B364-45E6-8A22-E9C5D9D11EFE_zps2ohpperv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
70340590-FD15-4B74-9BF1-0C39652EED6C_zpsbuqwi42q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It appears to be nice and thin behind the edge (to my eye), but the short grind and thickness at the choil create some wedging in onions. Cuts great tho and came sharp enough OTB to go right to work. Fit and finish was great. Smooth transition from the ferule, and I love the long sweeping choil. My first Wa-handle and I'm very pleased. I like the pear finish and that its stainless clad. When I get some proper stones I'll probably polish the grind for some nice contrast to the pear finish above.

nice find! god I love old carbon steel knives too!
try some sos pads first if you want to get most of the rust off & its an oil coating to protect from rusting

Tadafusa Santoku, 170mm, SLD Steel. OOTB edge is screaming. Very thin, and well made. Unusual chestnut handle. Wish they had had a gyuto.

IMG-20150323-00344_zpskirbckzg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers,

Jack

Do you have a link to that?

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/tadafusa-santoku-knife-170mm-sld-steel-blade-kn170.html

It's always worth browsing Aframes Tokyo (your receipt will read "Huckleberry Vintage Fishing Supply," which is cool). I ordered it Friday, got it Monday. It's a better bargain than I thought, given it's fit and finish. My very bad Blackberry photo doesn't show it well, but the maker's mark are blacksmith tongs. That's all that's on it.

Cheers,

Jack

Back