Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pic disappeared. Take two.

1485798451643.jpg

Gesshin Heiji 210mm semi-stainless wa-gyuto and Gesshin Uraku 270mm stainless wa-sujihiki.

Gesshin Heiji 210mm semi-stainless wa-gyuto and Gesshin Uraku 270mm stainless wa-sujihiki.

Did you refinish the Heiji or buy it from someone that did? It looks very non rustic and cleaned up, I should get around to cleaning mine up.

Did you refinish the Heiji or buy it from someone that did? It looks very non rustic and cleaned up, I should get around to cleaning mine up.

Purchased new from Jon. That's how it arrived.

He must be upping his F&F. I don't see nearly the amount of scratches from grinding I normally expect from Heiji. Looks good

Newest are the two on the left:
hcDh2CK.jpg

I decided I wanted a reasonably good hard-edged, but still reasonably cheap, stainless Chinese knife. So I bought two. Stainless-clad VG10, supposed to be HRC61 +/- 1. The big one is 390g, and the smaller one is 260g. (The small one on the right is 137g.)

From Taiwan, branded RiteNife. I bought the small one on the right about a year and a half ago, and liked it, so had confidence in the quality of the line. Sharpened and tried the big one - so far, so good.

I need to get better light and take better pictures :( (1cm squares on the background)
I have the very same version as your large cleaver on the left, except with stainless clad AUS10 core steel. It weighs in at 345 grams and the blade is 230 mm X 98 mm. It is billed as being a "medium" cleaver, meaning that it can be used even on frozen foods (but no bones) which makes it a bit more forgiving in how it may be used.
I agree, I would prefer it a bit thinner behind the edge, but then that would defeat it's "medium" functionality; but on the other hand, I only use it on boneless meats and fresh produce.

Is your smaller slicer thinner than your larger one?

XooMG, I have come to understand that you are in Taiwan, what do you know about RiteNife? Which ones are their best slicers?

Thanks in advance!
/Sillywizard

I have the very same version as your large cleaver on the left, except with stainless clad AUS10 core steel. It weighs in at 345 grams and the blade is 230 mm X 98 mm. It is billed as being a "medium" cleaver, meaning that it can be used even on frozen foods (but no bones) which makes it a bit more forgiving in how it may be used.
I agree, I would prefer it a bit thinner behind the edge, but then that would defeat it's "medium" functionality; but on the other hand, I only use it on boneless meats and fresh produce.

XooMG, I have come to understand that you are in Taiwan, what do you know about RiteNife? Which ones are their best slicers?

Thanks in advance!
/Sillywizard

Wow, 345grams? Seems like for those dimensions IMO.

Was another one of the bunch to jump on the Gengetsu restock recently - got a 240mm stainless clad semi-stainless. I thought I'd do a big brother/little brother theme for pictures because of how visually similar it is to my Itinomonn Kasumi V2 270mm
20170124_193926.jpg
@Java, choil shots, if that helps. I will say that I'm not sure the choil shot helps to give the right impression with the Gengetsu. I have just been going by pinching the blade from spine to edge (and along the length of the blade) to understand the grind. I'm inclined to say they share similarities, though the Gengetsu is a narrower blade, feels and acts a bit thinner overall, has a crazy thin tip (also, lots of core steel is shown there), and has a much more pronounced long flat spot.
20170130_195429.jpg
(higher res photo, dunno why the attachment is no good https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FE3kGBurMscpPONH91JLuW_iYQ9o3PRcjg )

A better photo:
mN60jST.jpg

Once you thin them a bit, they should really shine, assuming the edge holds up.

So far, so good. Sharpened the smaller one this morning, and used it for breakfast (slicing pork belly).

These are the same thickness on the spine, both 1.7mm on the spine, mid-blade. The smaller one is thinner behind the edge, 0.7mm thick 1cm behind the edge vs 1mm thick for the big one.

There's a medium cleaver in the range, 3mm thick, but I have more use for slicers.

Is there a common name for that teardrop shaped knife, and what is it actually intended for?

I don't know what it's called. It was advertised as a "meat-slicing knife". Here's a photo of it with a couple of Chinese butcher knives (these are thin-bladed meat slicers, both Double Tiger and Globe, from Hong Kong):
1ddAXm9.jpg

I only have seen a few of their products and think they are mostly a brand for various OEMs. Their website has several lines that I have not seen and some I've seen are not on the website. I don't buy them generally because I like carbon core knives from a different company.

Is there a common name for that teardrop shaped knife, and what is it actually intended for?
I am pretty unqualified in this space, but there are many knives with that shape. Some are referred to as meat knives, and there are a few local varieties that I've seen described like the Chiayi-style 嘉義肉刀 and Pingtung-style 屏東肉刀; there are varieties called fish knives 魚刀 or 殺魚刀 as well. I do not know the specific design or dimensional differences between them, sorry.

A better photo:
mN60jST.jpg

So far, so good. Sharpened the smaller one this morning, and used it for breakfast (slicing pork belly).

These are the same thickness on the spine, both 1.7mm on the spine, mid-blade. The smaller one is thinner behind the edge, 0.7mm thick 1cm behind the edge vs 1mm thick for the big one.

There's a medium cleaver in the range, 3mm thick, but I have more use for slicers.
Ok, thanks!
The thickness on mine is 1.9 mm at the spine, and 1 mm thick one centimeter behind the edge.

OoiPb3Y.jpg

@BeepBeepiamajeep: I love that Xerxes! As i got 9 of them there is something different.....

Just in comparison even the Kato 270 Workhorse looks and feels like some kind of toy.......

Thank you very much @WillC:

28183920sy.jpg

28183921us.jpg

28183922xu.jpg

Greets Sebastian.......

Would like to see everyone's latest knife buy to the knife collection and also why did you get it whats good about it.

I got myself my first laser wa gyuto from M.R stil waiting for it thou.
Its 270mm and is made of AEB-L steel witch i really like working with.
The handle is a custom wa with maple and wenge wood.
Wanted to try a laser so thats why i got it :)

Recently, I have bought a super cool pocket knife from Kershaw. I will upload lots of images very soon.

Also bennyprofane has one! not older than a month. i only got a 180mm recently

Back