Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need help...
I want sujihiki. Stainless or stainless clad. Budget: U$ 400,00.
I'm looking kurosaki r2 and Takayuki G3 Damascus.
What do you think? Another suggestion?
Thank you

I'm not familiar with the knives you cited but gave a look with the wonders of Google. I'm not a fan of the "hammered" (or in the case of the Kuraski, more aptly termed "gum wrapper") finish. Both knives look pretty average, no beauty contest winners but no faults either. Yawn.

The Kagekiyo described above looks much more compelling and the STAINLESS variant is in stock. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...gesshin-kagekiyo-270mm-staineless-wa-sujihiki

Appears to be a very well made suji that would excel on cooked meats. I'm a bit of a suji junkie and this one could come home with me - well except for the four that are already here....

If you were looking for a thinner or laser type suji the Gesshin Ginga or Tadasuna INOX would be good choices.

For me the lasers work best on raw meats, the clad or beefier knives work best on cooked (especially crusted) meats.

Good luck.

I'm not familiar with the knives you cited but gave a look with the wonders of Google. I'm not a fan of the "hammered" (or in the case of the Kuraski, more aptly termed "gum wrapper") finish. Both knives look pretty average, no beauty contest winners but no faults either. Yawn.

The Kagekiyo described above looks much more compelling and the STAINLESS variant is in stock. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...gesshin-kagekiyo-270mm-staineless-wa-sujihiki

Appears to be a very well made suji that would excel on cooked meats. I'm a bit of a suji junkie and this one could come home with me - well except for the four that are already here....

If you were looking for a thinner or laser type suji the Gesshin Ginga or Tadasuna INOX would be good choices.

For me the lasers work best on raw meats, the clad or beefier knives work best on cooked (especially crusted) meats.

Good luck.

I should have added that the Suji I recommended is not at all very reactive (compared to my Konosuke Fujiyama and other carbon knives). The Kagekiyo seems to cut like my Konosuke HD laser Gyuto and the blade is pretty stiff for such a light knife.

Jack

I will use a lot on roasted meat.
i tought about getting the kagekiyo (specially the new version, with a lower HRC). But I think I read in one post a few months ago that they are a little hard to maintain the profile when sharpening because of the knife's geometry. Is that true?

I will use a lot on roasted meat.
i tought about getting the kagekiyo (specially the new version, with a lower HRC). But I think I read in one post a few months ago that they are a little hard to maintain the profile when sharpening because of the knife's geometry. Is that true?

Kagekiyo has nice bevels that makes thinning/maintaining the geometry a breeze. Personally I think a kochi would be a good all around sujihiki if you wanted to own just one. For cooked proteins exclusively I would recommend a heiji or some other thicker knife with large bevels.

Looking back on my purchase I should've gone the Kurosaki AS Sujihiki 270mm $260 at CKTG. I have something very similar and it preforms very well and takes a wicked sharp edge.

Back