Takamura uchigumo vs tanaka ironwood r2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-Flash

Reaction score
If you have experience from these two, which one do you prefer?

If you could get one for same price, which one would it be?

Mainly thinking about gyutos.

Clad to hear all experiences.

Cheers

Hi -

So, all things being equal, I would like lean toward the ironwood. Part of that is lust for looks, if I am being honest. I had a Taka Uchi for some time and liked the knife very much. Some consider it a laser, but I don't. I'd call it the lighter end of mid-weight. Lovely cutter and it does look absolutely incredible.

My understanding, also, is that the Tanaka is a more expensive knife. So if you're able to acquire at same cost, that's a better "deal" -- assuming both are in similair condition and all.

24m9k4p.jpg

Both are really nice, you’ll be happy with either, but they do feel different to each other. The takamura is slightly thinner behind the edge and tapers to a thinner tip.

Last edited:
Tanka pretty much has no distal taper

Be aware that there seem to be a few differnt Tanaka R2 damascus grinds around. Some are said to be lasers but mine is firmly in the middleweight camp.

It should be mentioned that although Takamura is done in takefu, they really make a "sakai" typical knife.

I think it somewhat comes down to personal preference ... I handled a 2009 version Santoku, it was interesting because the Bolster had a pin through it and the Damascus was really very deep.

Loved my Tanaka. It’s all about that handle. Top shelf in so many ways, including performance. But if your eyes were closed.....

Curious what you mean by this.
Takefu knives have a certain charastic ...
often tall heel height, often Forge finsihed or Tsuchimi finished, Often very physically a round coil look. often not much distal taper. often inconsistencies between knives of same maker. often mass produced hand made products made by younger teams. More of a "home" knife. Often higher HRC heat treats ... Derives durability from its Grind as opposed to heat treat.
Sakai knives often under sized, more square shaped choil but higher end will have rounded edges, Derives durability from Heat treat but is often thinner behind the edge. Older makers typically, that have a certian level of fit and finish and take pride in consistency year to year and knife to knife.
- you may disagree with me and thats fine.

Also ... i dont mean to say that Takefu are not good knives ... they often are amazing, and i think they fall into what we are "looking for" in a knife for westerners more often than not.

Last edited:
I like the Tanaka more overall but the Takamura was thinner throughout and behind the edge. Probably a slightly better cutter. Both great knives but I lean towards the Tanaka.

Takefu knives have a certain charastic ...
often tall heel height, often Forge finsihed or Tsuchimi finished, Often very physically a round coil look. often not much distal taper. often inconsistencies between knives of same maker. often mass produced hand made products made by younger teams. More of a "home" knife. Often higher HRC heat treats ... Derives durability from its Grind as opposed to heat treat.
Sakai knives often under sized, more square shaped choil but higher end will have rounded edges, Derives durability from Heat treat but is often thinner behind the edge. Older makers typically, that have a certian level of fit and finish and take pride in consistency year to year and knife to knife.
- you may disagree with me and thats fine.

Also ... i dont mean to say that Takefu are not good knives ... they often are amazing, and i think they fall into what we are "looking for" in a knife for westerners more often than not.
I'm not sure i would agree with these generalizations... even if we limited our conversation to specifically the takefu knife village (just one group of a number of makers and companies in the area), many of these things still dont ring true. They are most assuredly not geared towards home use, the HRC isn't high compared to other regions in general (though HRC values do get overinflated by retailers and wholesalers... sometimes intentionally sometimes not), not always rounded in the choil shape (its often how customers are ordering from them lately though... not standard for what they do), and not even close to almost always being tsuchime or kurouchi (those things sell well in the west, so thats what wholesalers and retailers out here tend to order).

If you wanted to make an accurate statement about the region (or even just takefu knife village), here are some things that could easily be said:

• They have a traditional system for stacking 2 blades (i've seen 3 before too, but i think it was just to show off) while forging (hammering), as they believe it is faster and keeps the metal hot longer
  • Their history is in farm tools (sickles and whatnot)
  • They are a major maguro-kiri producing area (not the knife village though)
  • Their heat treatments are often done using namari (though they can also use magnesia salt baths for stainless and powdered steels)
  • Almost all knives are produced from prelaminated stock
  • Distal taper is often created as a function of grind rather than forging (when compared to sanjo)... therefore is often less significant or apparent
  • Finishes are often sandblasted

If you wanted to make an accurate statement about the region (or even just takefu knife village), here are some things that could easily be said:

• They have a traditional system for stacking 2 blades (i've seen 3 before too, but i think it was just to show off) while forging (hammering), as they believe it is faster and keeps the metal hot longer
  • Their history is in farm tools (sickles and whatnot)
  • They are a major maguro-kiri producing area (not the knife village though)
  • Their heat treatments are often done using namari (though they can also use magnesia salt baths for stainless and powdered steels)
  • Almost all knives are produced from prelaminated stock
  • Distal taper is often created as a function of grind rather than forging (when compared to sanjo)... therefore is often less significant or apparent
  • Finishes are often sandblasted

At the risk of going off on a tangent here, but feel free to reel me back in. What is namari where it pertains to heat treatment and how does it relate to magnesia salt baths? Is namari a quenchant?

Back on track, aside from my Takamura Migaki I've only used the Uchi briefly, but that felt like a different tool alltogether.
If I found one in 240 at my side of the pond at a decent price I would jump on it for sure.

namari is lead (usually molten lead) used for heat treating. Most of the guys there are quenching in water for clad knives, though i can think of some exceptions for sure.

You guys like the looks of that Tanaka profile?
I just can’t.

Craig have you used the Yoshikane SLD Damascus? Looking for a stunning blade for a octagon Amboyna Burl- horn handle. Made it couple years ago. No spacers just jet black horn and very nice piece of Amboyna burl with a lot of red in it. Was going to put it on the TF white #1 that got a good deal on BST. I like the stock octagon handle on the TF it is wider and shorter just how I like them. Don't care for long skinny octagon handles.

Always thought the Tanaka Ironwood Damascus were great looking blades though have never seen one in person.

Is it just that it's too curved for you or is it something else?

Far too curved for my liking. I prefer to push cut and that would probably leave accordions everywhere if I were to cut faster or chop with it. I'm no master of knife technique but the knife should be a good match for the user. Someone who rocks with this knife would probably be salivating.

Back