Tatsuo Ikeda

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casquette

Reaction score
I found online a Petty knife 145mm by Tatsuo Ikeda. The price is around $900. What do you think, should I buy it?

C.

I found online a Petty knife 145mm by Tatsuo Ikeda. The price is around $900. What do you think, should I buy it?

C.

No, not unless it's a very fancy one. You can get a yoshikazu one for about a buck 50

Tatsuo Ikeda definitely is Not making knives any more.

Because he is dead.

He is a celebrated blacksmith, especially for his Honyaki.

Though people have a tendency to attribute knives to him that he had nothing to do with.

Whether or not you should by the knife? The performance of the blade will partially rely on the Sharpener responsible.. and boy can that vary.

it is a san mai damascus shirogami.

Sounds far fetched, I’ve never seen a single damascus knife from him and I have been lucky to find quite a few knives made by Tatsuo Ikeda-RIP, both san mai and honyaki.

Can the seller provide any kind of verification that it is in fact made by him specifically? A stamp on the tang for example?

If such a thing exists, then 900$ might be worth it because of unicorn status rather than cutting ability.

I mean I have never seen a badly sharpened knife by him (the original sharpener I mean), in fact they’ve all been pretty much perfect - as you can imagine he’d have only worked with proven sharpeners; But you should know that the majority of what you’re paying is rarity premium (if in fact it is actually a Tatsuo Ikeda knife)

I personally have never seen a Tatsuo Ikeda Damascus or double bevel. Like Khashy said, if that knife is true, its unicorn for sure.
I've seen a few Tatsuo gyuto honyakis. Not that rare, but you're right his yanagis are definitely more common.

Like Omega has already mentioned, people dress up some knives and call them Tatsuo's work where as in fact it's either mis-information, a lie or someone has been conned.

It'd be great to see photos of these double bevel honyakis by Tatsuo Ikeda you guys speak of - crazy that on a kitchen knife forum as large and diverse as KKF, there has only ever been a single one that has come to light.

I'm not professing to being a Tatsuo expert here by any means - just beware of who it is you are believing when a knife is presented as a 'Tatsuo'

He did amazing stuff but not everything is his best work.

Just my $0.02 cents.

Is there a definitive way to tell that it is a Tatsuo Ikeda? Can't really go by brand since there are other makers that make knives for that brand. Can't see stamp on tang unless the handle is taken off.

Is there a definitive way to tell that it is a Tatsuo Ikeda? Can't really go by brand since there are other makers that make knives for that brand. Can't see stamp on tang unless the handle is taken off.

Very hard to say then. That’s the Japanese way. For many years, people only cared about the brand and its assurance of quality. Who made it was never an important factor. It’s only the western market that emphasis who the maker is.

Tang is your best bet but even then it may be blank.I have both honyakis made under his brand and oem for another. The oem one had a blank tang. You need to do you own research in regards to tatsuo’s association with the brand.
My oem one was a NOS and research tells me he made honyakis for this brand for many years so I’m 90-95% sure it’s him and I took the gamble of acquiring it.

Only way to tell if it is genuine is going by the Certified Craftsmen seal. Since both brothers sign off as Ikeda on their kanji.

But from what I see, Tatsuo chisels his kanji a little harder so maybe that’s the only visible difference.

Very hard to say then. That’s the Japanese way. For many years, people only cared about the brand and its assurance of quality. Who made it was never an important factor. It’s only the western market that emphasis who the maker is.

Tang is your best bet but even then it may be blank.I have both honyakis made under his brand and oem for another. The oem one had a blank tang. You need to do you own research in regards to tatsuo’s association with the brand.
My oem one was a NOS and research tells me he made honyakis for this brand for many years so I’m 90-95% sure it’s him and I took the gamble of acquiring it.

pictures please if possible.
Thanks!

Only way to tell if it is genuine is going by the Certified Craftsmen seal. Since both brothers sign off as Ikeda on their kanji.

But from what I see, Tatsuo chisels his kanji a little harder so maybe that’s the only visible difference.

I am not sure where you are getting your information from but it seems to be inaccurate.
Tatsuo Ikeda's signature has always been 'Masayuki Saku' or 'Sakai Masayuki Saku', either that or his number 12 seal.

Of all the Tatsuo blades I have seen, I do recall one, maybe two that have 'Ikeda' chiselled, but even those has Masayuki stamped on the tang.

I am not sure where you are getting your information from but it seems to be inaccurate.
Tatsuo Ikeda's signature has always been 'Masayuki Saku' or 'Sakai Masayuki Saku', either that or his number 12 seal.

Of all the Tatsuo blades I have seen, I do recall one, maybe two that have 'Ikeda' chiselled, but even those has Masayuki stamped on the tang.
Where would you see the #12 seal stamped? On blade? On tang? Do you have a picture of what that looks like?

So are they? And how much do his knives normally go for?

I found this little gem recently. Tatsuo Ikeda 210 Honyaki. I had given the whole 210 thing up, but that hamon and the fact it was a Tatsuo sealed It!
2F9B1D2A-4B7C-419E-834C-0E6F57916375.jpeg
F9CBA8EC-3473-4C30-93BA-6435B8083AD6.jpeg
0EF092F5-FFD7-4EB4-9752-66F674081AB5.jpeg

Back