The Tale of Two Knives (Takeda & CCK)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaamax

Reaction score
Over the years I've added quite a few good knives to my collection. Not by design, but rather because I tend to use a single knife, the same single knife until something compels me to move on.
For the last several years I've been using the large Takeda chukabolo for my hand was having some age related issues like cramping, stiffness and the hight of the blade relieved it.
A about a month ago my trusty Takeda disappeared. So now I was forced to use an old CCK 1102 for work.
I truly enjoyed using it again and actually got to the point of thinking that I wasn't really missing my old blade that much. Well Jaybit out in Portland was kind enough to offer up a replacement Takeda and I just got it in today before my shift.
Well folks, the CCK is a terrific knife in all aspects and I love it. The Takeda after just a few moments at my station and it was all she wrote. Amazing how certain blades can take the experience to another level. An unnecessary level to be sure, but damn what a pleasure when one can afford to indulge. After a while I did a quick touch-up on a 4k and she was back to wicked sharp. I had forgotten how sharp these things can get.
So my many thanks to Jaybet for not letting me get lazy and settle for "good enough." After all, I think we can make a damn good argument for any working blade under $1k (beyond that amount it sits in my throat a bit) especially if it's part of your kit for work. How much does one set of tires cost if you race cars or bikes? How long do they last… lol One race!
So my friends, not to be an enabler here, but damn it, indulge!

CCk weighs in at 445g

Takeda at 335g. But the CCK is a taller blade (12 vs. just shy of 11). Both are 236 in length.

I remember seeing the original post in BST. Glad things worked out with getting a replacement, I like happy endings like this. There are some good people here at KKF

I remember seeing the original post in BST. Glad things worked out with getting a replacement, I like happy endings like this. There are some good people here at KKF

!00% correct there. I am still amazed at how the very anonymous nature of the internet can still foster true communities. Back when Ebay first came along I thought it was a ridiculous idea. Who on earth is going to send money to some unknown person and then "hope" that they deliver on the item? It was bizarre.
Now we have specialized forums where I believe truly function as a community with responsibilities of demeanor, decorum, respect and maybe most importantly a feeling of the group looking out for each other and calling out individuals that stray from these principals. Boy that was a mouthful, but this is after my morning coffee…lol
But think about it, you have something you wish to discuss that is either knife or kitchen related (my wife would just roll her eyes if I were to tell her anything) coworkers are not necessarily enthusiast either, which should be a whole other topic.
Cheers to a great place and great participants.
aaamax

Back