Thin honyaki gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurdon

Reaction score
So I've been thinking for some time about getting a honyaki and finally decided it's time to pull the trigger. I'm looking for something rather on the thinner side - laserish or really thin midweight with a pretty flat profile. Lengthwise everything between sakai 240 to 270. I'd like not to spend more than 1200-1300 euro including all import taxes etc. About the steel I don't care that much, but given my budget it will most likely be white. I was thinking about these two
Kagekiyo miura special Japanese Chef Wagyuto Knife - KAGEKIYO - Urushi Akaro Serie - Mizu Honyaki - Size: 27cm , but would prefer something just a tad bit thinner to be honest
Ikeda that could potentially be restocked soon in 270 Yoshikazu Ikeda shirogami #1 mizuhonyaki kiritsuke gyuto 240mm

There are some oil quenched Ikedas in white 3 available but they tend to be pretty thick and I don't know what to expect from white 3 steel. How does it compare to white 2 cladded knives? Generally speaking are white 3 abura honyakis worth the money?

There are some oil quenched Ikedas in white 3 available but they tend to be pretty thick and I don't know what to expect from white 3 steel. How does it compare to white 2 cladded knives? Generally speaking are white 3 abura honyakis worth the money?
In my experience, no. Sample size of one so take the pulse of others as well. Excellent grind, I mean something to write home about. But weirdly short edge retention, less than an Ikea knife. Didn't matter if I sharpened it or a professional.

I have a blue honyaki by the same maker, very different story.

Have you watched Kaeru from JNS?
I have the 240 version which I like very much.
This one is on the thin side. Not a laser, but far from any workhorse.
Yeah but I've heard mixed reviews on them. Also each knife seems to be different in terms of grind.
In my experience, no. Sample size of one so take the pulse of others as well. Excellent grind, I mean something to write home about. But weirdly short edge retention, less than an Ikea knife. Didn't matter if I sharpened it or a professional.

I have a blue honyaki by the same maker, very different story.
Thank you for the opinion!

This is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of grind/thickness but I'm not 100% convinced on white 3 steel and taxes would bump the price up to around 1600 euros.

If you’re not set on a j-knife, then a little closer to home there’s Frederick Spare who could make you a custom honyaki for well under 1000 euros. Probably closer to 500 euros, assuming you can get on his list. His standard grind is more midweight, but he takes requests for lasers.

Spare's list is closed and I'm not convinced it will open soon. (I got on it in November and I'm still waiting). However, there may be drops with retailers (i.e. piercingknives just had some. moderncooking gets some on occasion. they also pop up on BST)

Any Sukenari W2 owners here?

Last edited:
Back