"Thinning behind the edge"?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Scott, I really miss you guys! Sometimes you don't know what's great in your life till it's gone. Hope all is well!

It is actually. Coming out of the funk and I'll be single in 2 weeks.

Then that knife definitely needed some thinning, because the new one I tried cut very well.
I tried the white one quite a while back, when it was almost new. It was definitely on the thick side even back then.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that the tools of a pro chef are just like the tools of pro's in other trades...us rank amateur's just don't get it. I'm guessing you'd destroy one of my nice edges in about five minutes. I have to say this may rank up there for best thread ever.

Thank you,
Gullible

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that the tools of a pro chef are just like the tools of pro's in other trades...us rank amateur's just don't get it.

BS. If that were the case, I wouldn't have had to fix as many mass specs in a previous life, or as many ultrasounds in my current life.

Is it just me?...or is this thread really going somewhere where the majority of us just aren't getting it? Is there back story missing or something?

Thinning was the original impetus of this thread. And it's transitioned into a cultural difference regarding knife usage. Pros beat on knives, and proper geometry is very important to maintain, as a very keen edge won't last for ****, but you still literally NEED it to perform. A home cook can approach things on a much more academic level typically. Which is still highly warranted. I'm not saying this is the case across the board with either so called camps, but its useful to acknowledge the perspectives in play here.

That means nothing.

It means much more than you know. Over 20 years of professionally wielding kitchen knives for 75+ hour work weeks. Get. On. My. Level. I won't pretend to have such a deep understanding of the tools from a different field from casually or only occasionally using them.

Thinning was the original impetus of this thread. And it's transitioned into a cultural difference regarding knife usage. Pros beat on knives, and proper geometry is very important to maintain, as a very keen edge won't last for ****, but you still literally NEED it to perform. A home cook can approach things on a much more academic level typically. Which is still highly warranted. I'm not saying this is the case across the board with either so called camps, but its useful to acknowledge the perspectives in play here.

Well said Brainsausage! What I find particularly funny is that the knife brought up by example (Salty's honyaki) was one that I also found to be thick behind the edge compared to what I'm used to using. After some thought process I remember that Salty doesn't like end-grain boards and beats the crap out of a knife. There is no way that my knife would be good for him or his good for me. I can only imagine how fast he'd destroy one of ER's Heiji's.

It means much more than you know. Over 20 years of professionally wielding kitchen knives for 75+ hour work weeks. Get. On. My. Level. I won't pretend to have such a deep understanding of the tools from a different field from casually or only occasionally using them.

Hard perspective to attain if you haven't lived it and I certainly haven't, but definitely gives me a lot of respect for those who manage to maintain these tools with the use/abuse you guys can dish out.

You are ad-hominizing.

Interning at a pro kitchen with a Ph.D. for four months, I may have been the smartest guy in the room. By shutting up and paying attention I had a thimble full of understanding by the time I left.

Just a small example, yesterday I broke down 3 cases of whole chickens, 1 case of beef tenderloins, 3 cases of pork tenderloins, 3 whole salmon and a plethora of veggie prep for different uses. Just a regular day.

Why do I think Salty knew where this might go when he first posted this harmless question? A little B.F. Skinner or Pavlov's Method.

Theory, I had a slow day.. only three tenderloins, one side sword, one side tuna , two salmon and a box of fresh mountain trout....

Wow this thread picked up WAY more speed than I thought it would.

+1 this:
for me I enjoy spending time to get my knife as perfectly tuned as possible, and then seeing how long I can make that edge last in a hardcore environment.

Spa days when needed. No time for thinning constantly. I have papers that need pushing.

The funniest part of this for me was the implication that a long time pro chef that is an active member of an online kitchen knife forum wouldn't notice if his knife wasn't cutting well. I'm sure there was no offense intended but that would rank right up there with 'I bet your menu isn't very good' in terms of professionally focused insults for me.
I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything. Just sayin' I notice if a knife can't cut in less than 20 seconds not 20 years. If it can't cut it will be on the stones and plates until it can. So for I can gets paid.

:clown:

I am sure this is not a unique perspective here, but as a former cook who now just likes to play with shiny toys, I have a great degree of self loathing every time I start to baby and obsess about a knife, but that still doesn't stop me. I do think thinning is a bit overdone in these parts, but a good deal of that probably comes from the preferred knives on the forum as much as the actual necessity to thin any given knife.

a microbevel thickens an edge.

I don't think those are even related.

So thinning is done at no angle
thinning behind the edge is done at a low angle (say 4-6 degrees?)
The bevel is done at a moderate angle (10-18?)
and the microbevel is done at a high angle (~25?)

And the height of each of these sections gets shorter as the angle increases?

So thinning is done at no angle
thinning behind the edge is done at a low angle (say 4-6 degrees?)
The bevel is done at a moderate angle (10-18?)
and the microbevel is done at a high angle (~25?)

And the height of each of these sections gets shorter as the angle increases?

Craig, the height increase as you increase the angle. While a microbevel does increase the edge thickness, the added thickness is so minimal it goes away with stropping. I don't see thinning and microbevels as being related at all.

Back