thoughts about Yoshimi Kato AS 210mm Guyto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim huang

Reaction score
Hi guys, how do you feel about the Yoshimi Kato AS 210mm Guyto western Micarta handle? i meet a knife dealer and he introduce me the AS 210mm Guyto western Micarta handle, what the dealer said this is the one like Masakage Koishi product line (I know Kato also do this product line). Have anyone own this knife and how do you guys feel about it?
knife7.jpg
knife8.jpg

Last edited:
I don't like the western mircata handle, looks ugly.

The Hammered pattern is also uglier than Anryu and yoshikane hammering.

Kurochi finish is the lowest ranking, lowest effort finish, unless u like that. I'd prefer migaki or nashiji finish.

I like AS steel tho.

I like katos Damascus SG2 line better than this.

Y Kato has a solid reputation in his price range - his knives are quite thin and considered lasers or near-laser. I have one of his pettys in AS that I like a lot - it has a dark ku finish that I find pretty attractive, fit and finish is good, and the blade is thin and takes a very sharp edge. I wouldn’t have any hesitation about picking up one of his gyutos but personally I’d favor a wood wa handle to micarta western.

Bling like ku, tsuchime, handles, etc is personal - if you like it that’s all that matters and I wouldn’t put much weight on whether or not other people like it as well. It’s going to be in your kitchen after all, not somebody else’s.

Looks pretty nice, it looks like Koishi but yo-handle. I would take it since it's uncommon to see the western handle. Wa handle is just a generic style knife that made to peak interest for western people. Micarta is not the nicest scale for sure, but the reason it's favourable is that it would not shrink and contract by any heat or chemical harshness.

I had the AS nashiji 240mm gyuto before, is my best cutter.

His knives usually cuts nice, pretty thin grind. They tend to be on the delicate side, kind of laserish.

With this kind of heavy handle the balance point should be close to the handle or handle heavy. I would prefer a wa version.

Back