tip damaged in transit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndoorOutdoorCook

Reaction score
Sorry if this question was literally just answered. :newhere:

I bought this deba off BST. When I got home, the package was wide open, not a good sign. It looks like the knife ripped right through the bubblewrap envelope and the tip got damaged.

96l34XR.jpg

N67hBBZ.jpg

So here is what I'm thinking of taking the spine down:

ikYb7A7.jpg

Is this a good plan? Is it enough or do I need to take it back further? It's a 210 deba, so kind of big for what i need anyway, if it ends up shortened a little then it happens. I don't want to lose the tip pointiness of the deba too much.

My other question is when you guys take the spine down, are you taking it vertically to the stones, blade facing up? I have a diamond plate and a 300 grit stone to work with. It's white steel, should I try this myself or should I send it to a pro?

Your plan is eminently logical, but I might go at it from the sharp side---looks like you'd remove much less metal.

Good attitude on a bad packing job.

Id be attacking it from both sides on this one. Looks like too much metal gone if only from the spine. Diamond plate makes short work of the bulk of it. And yes, blade facing up if taking from spine, smooth rocking motions to keep good profile. I found it a bit daunting at first but it turned out alot easier than i thought, wasnt as badly damaged as this one though. There is plenty of threads on tip repair here with far more knowledgeable folks than I!

If it was a double bevel then you're absolutely correct, since it's a deba then I would ask an expert (I personally have no clue).

Stop! Don't touch the spine! A single-bevel knife like this must be repaired by removing metal from the edge and moving the shinogi line up to compensate.

I suggest you call Jon Broida at JKI and ask about what needs to be done.

Rick

PS - Whoever packed that knife so poorly should pay for the repair.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to wait to see who else weighs in. If it was a gyuto I would have just grinded it away already, but I'm unsure since it's a deba.

Ugh I was hoping to fix it myself and avoid all the paypal dispute process. I'll give Jon a call later and go from there I guess.

I think those Japanese craftsmen should develop some kind of way to prevent this all together, like tying or locking down the knife by the finger choil & handle inside the box, so that however it's thrown around, the knife won't move tip first and stab here and there. There is always this risk when buying expensive Japanese knives online.

It's no problem when handing it normally over to someone by hand, but not so when shipped across the globe.

I think those Japanese craftsmen should develop some kind of way to prevent this all together, like tying or locking down the knife by the finger choil & handle inside the box, so that however it's thrown around, the knife won't move tip first and stab here and there. There is always this risk when buying expensive Japanese knives online.

It's no problem when handing it normally over to someone by hand, but not so when shipped across the globe.

Read the post. This was a member-to-member sale.

And he offered to fix it but I didn't feel like waiting and I hate shipping stuff myself. I spoke to Jon and his recommendation was to work it both ways but mostly from the spine side. I tried but there's just so much metal on a deba..

I moved the edge up and now I'm moving the shinogi line up slowly. I'm only at 300 grit right now and I think I will take a break. I'm going to try to make it more pointy.

b5Wd9zw.jpg

Good progress... eventually it wld be acomplished.

My preferred method is a belt sander ( slack) to work on the edge to the shinogi line. 2nd alternative I rather use sandpaper on the edge so as to have some convex on the blade face below the S. Line. IF stones are used.. multiple angles shld be used so as not to leave a flat blade face.

Removing too much still will affect the concavity of the rear side. So take a look at where the the "hollowness" is on the rear and see where you are removing metal.

Attacking it on both sides seems to be a logical balance. But my preference is always to maintain the concavity on the edge ( rear side). The tip area shld be flat and not hollow for strength. Between looks/ aesthetics adn integrity of function, I wld forgo the former...

Hv Fun rgds D

The moral of this story is to always keep the original box/packaging a knife came in, so it can be reused if it ever needs to be shipped or stored.

Back