Tog Knife steel!?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyDuff

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the whole forum thing but just wanted to pick your knowledge on a couple of things!! Basically i purchased a TOG Gyuto around christmas time and fell in love with the knife - it was my instant favourite! However, i dont know to much about the Acuto 440 steel that its made from - ive googled it but there doesnt seem to be a great deal on the topic (at least not that i could see)!

What are your views on it? i have to say, and i was a little surprised it held an exceptional edge! I think its 59-61 hrc, yet my yaxell gou 101 is 63 hrc and doesnt keep and edge like the TOG, could it be something to do with the copper??

If anyone has any knowledge on it id really appreciate a comment or two!! Thanks!!

Corey

A web search reveals quickly that it is an upgraded 440C bearing steel. 440C is considered a honest and good, albeit somewhat conservative blade steel.

Are you using technique that is better matched to a softer steel?

Are you using the same sharpening angle on both knives?

Thanks for the reply guys! Sorry I know it's an ungraded 440c but I wanted to know how it differs, and for that matter what makes it a better steel? My sharpening technique is pretty solid (if I do say so myself haha)! Maybe it is the stones - I really don't know! Thanks for the replies though!

Back