Vegeterian food. Where to start?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Life - you're using pancake in terms of savory pancakes, not sweet, right? Due to lack of a good English word parsing out what these are called in their respective native languages. Like Korean 'jeon' or Chinese 'bing'

That is the unleavened type, with turmeric, onions, ginger, garlic and curry spices, and ca. 1/5th rice flour. No wheat flour or eggs at all.

Oh, you could make a sweet pancake that way too - the chickpea taste gets buried easily under fruity aromas (and most of them work with a nutty taste anyway) and sugar. But yeah, I tend to mean both sweet and savory when I say pancakes. And even I wouldn't be so wack as to arrange sweet pancakes on salad.

I think salad (and soup)toppings are one of the surprisingly tricky topics in vegan food :) The hidden truth: Pure vegetable (as in, literal vegetables) salads don't work, taste balance wise (unless you use VERY fresh and tasty greens, or so much dressing that you make a cold soup). We want fat, starch, protein in a meal - I think if you make it taste balanced without, you are skilled but actually creating something low-calorie but unhealthy :) Cooked beans as a topping violate modern emissions standards. Tofu, tempeh, seitan only work in the capacity if you put so much work into marination and cooking that you could just as well make a hot dish. Storebought vegan cheeses or processed meat substitutes just feel wrong.

I think salad (and soup)toppings are one of the surprisingly tricky topics in vegan food :) The hidden truth: Pure vegetable (as in, literal vegetables) salads don't work, taste balance wise (unless you use VERY fresh and tasty greens, or so much dressing that you make a cold soup). We want fat, starch, protein in a meal - I think if you make it taste balanced without, you are skilled but actually creating something low-calorie but unhealthy :) Cooked beans as a topping violate modern emissions standards. Tofu, tempeh, seitan only work in the capacity if you put so much work into marination and cooking that you could just as well make a hot dish. Storebought vegan cheeses or processed meat substitutes just feel wrong.

This is a clever solution to the problem of getting protein into a vegan salad.

This is a clever solution to the problem of getting protein into a vegan salad.

Tbf as a % of total calories, greens usually are decent in protein. They just utterly lack caloric density (calories vs weight), leading to your typical all veg salad being a calorie deficient meal unless you go hard on the dressing

Tbf as a % of total calories, greens usually are decent in protein. They just utterly lack caloric density (calories vs weight), leading to your typical all veg salad being a calorie deficient meal unless you go hard on the dressing

I must say, I've never really looked up the macronutrient composition of veggies. I had assumed that they were mainly fibre and carbohydrate, so that is interesting information.

I do like some oil or fat in my salads. Having said that, the odd calorie deficeint meat is probably not a bad idea. OTOH if you are eating this sort of food constantly, you might need to keep the calorie count up, I guess.

Weird, right? Of the whole plant foods, it's really the fruits that are low in protein as a % its total calories.

Most times I center meals around starches (a comfortable caloric density, good micronutrient content, carb content, some fiber) for decent satiety, and am recently trending more towards smaller and more frequent meals/consuming food over a longer period of time spread out

Weird, right? Of the whole plant foods, it's really the fruits that are low in protein as a % its total calories.

Makes sense once you think about it though. Fruit has a loooot of sugars in it in general. Obviously fruits like avocado and olives are exceptions that have a lot of fat in them. And yes, I guess fruits do tend to be a bit more calorie dense than most veggies.

Latest posts

Back