Waxing blades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squilliam

Reaction score
I just decided to wax a customer's machete which they had let rust in the past. I poured boiling water over it then rubbed it with a puck of beeswax. The result was a thin, even and squeaky wax film.

Has anyone used this to reduce reactivity on kitchen knives? I'm not sure how long it would last, but something like carnauba wax could provide a more permanent coating.

I've never heard of anyone using wax to prevent rusting, but I know lots of folks using Camellia oil for this. I wipe down my carbon knives with Camellia oil and they stay rust free for months on end.

I'd be worried about trapping moisture under the wax.

I think cutting hot food would be an issue as well, but maybe for long-term storage.

for long term storage mineral oil works as well.

Out here mineral oil dries out too fast and stuff rusts faster. Would camelia oil last longer? Coz it's either I lay the mineral oil thick and end up pretty much letting the oil drip on my knife bag or find an alternative.

Out here mineral oil dries out too fast and stuff rusts faster. Would camelia oil last longer? Coz it's either I lay the mineral oil thick and end up pretty much letting the oil drip on my knife bag or find an alternative.

It's about the same, to me.

I think Del Ealy does or did wax his damascus blades. I bought a damascus gyuto from him two or three years ago and I'm pretty sure he treated the blade.

I think Del Ealy does or did wax his damascus blades. I bought a damascus gyuto from him two or three years ago and I'm pretty sure he treated the blade.

Yes I remember reading abt it somewhere on the forum. But then, the grooves of his damascus is deeper than usual which thus traps moisture and water.

rgds
d

Some water-based gel glues come in a stick with a cloth applicator tip. I've been using one of those with mineral oil from Ikea for a while and quite like it.

There's the anti-rusting paper that Japanese makers sometimes wrap blades in as well.

Wax could be OK if it's food-safe, and probably wouldn't be vastly different from the Japanese practice of using lacquer.

Back