Wet Shaving, ala straight razors

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread got me motivated so I thought about the process I was using and gave it another shot this morning. I realized I was making a fairly stupid mistake. When I hone, I don't tape so I've been trying to hold the spine of the razor as little as possible off the stone to avoid scratching. When I strop, I've just been laying it flat and going at it. As a result, I'm pretty sure I've been stropping slightly behind the edge, which is pointless. I raised the angle a bit when stropping this morning and noticed a difference. I still ended up with some tugging on the tougher parts around the chin and definitely some irritation/burn, but it was manageable. Hopefully improving technique can get me the rest of the way.

When attacking my chin the first few months I noticed that patches of whiskers went in different directions. A down WTG only cleared the field a bit I found in some areas I have to come back at a 45deg XtG to AtG, than a full AtG after an inch and a half. Everyones whiskers grow in different directions and you need to experiment with varying strokes to see what works for you. Watch all the videos you can because you will se differences that you may want to try your self.

This thread got me motivated so I thought about the process I was using and gave it another shot this morning. I realized I was making a fairly stupid mistake. When I hone, I don't tape so I've been trying to hold the spine of the razor as little as possible off the stone to avoid scratching. When I strop, I've just been laying it flat and going at it. As a result, I'm pretty sure I've been stropping slightly behind the edge, which is pointless. I raised the angle a bit when stropping this morning and noticed a difference. I still ended up with some tugging on the tougher parts around the chin and definitely some irritation/burn, but it was manageable. Hopefully improving technique can get me the rest of the way.

You should be laying your razor flat on the stone at all times. Razors have a built in guide (the hollow makes the spine a guide for the angle of the edge) and I doubt that anyone can achieve that level of precision on a razor while holding an angle freehand. It's such a tiny bevel and such a tiny blade to hold on to that you're bound to get a ton of wobble, which can easily change that tiny bevel.

You should be laying your razor flat on the stone at all times. Razors have a built in guide (the hollow makes the spine a guide for the angle of the edge) and I doubt that anyone can achieve that level of precision on a razor while holding an angle freehand. It's such a tiny bevel and such a tiny blade to hold on to that you're bound to get a ton of wobble, which can easily change that tiny bevel.

Wouldn't the process of doing that for 100 years or so naturally wear down the spine a bit, changing the angle?

Wouldn't the process of doing that for 100 years or so naturally wear down the spine a bit, changing the angle?

yes but the edge also wears during honing so it is all symmetric wear.
If you want to protect the spine use tape. One other thing to consider, you set bevel and go up the grits once when you initially hone the razor, after that is only touch ups on the finishing stone or some pasts. You will technically never have to go to low grit stones unless the blade is chipped or nicked and needs repair.

Ugh, this thread has had me itching for another shop run to see what has accumulated of the past few months :) When hunting for vintage blades you just never know what your going to find and at what price. Once I found 2 fountain pens for $2.50 ea, got home expecting them to be toast. Turns hout these where both in fully working order and are trading at $60 and $150, I have yet to put them up for sale as I kind of like them :)

I've been lucky at times with the razors and come across many good deals. You just have to be willing to put in the time to clean them up and get them shaving :) Sometimes the best looking one in the bunch requires the most work and the "lost Cause" just needed a touch up lol ya just never know sometimes lol.

I found one at a shop that has a bend in the spine. Is it possible to straighten something like this without breaking it? It is an old borasic.

I found one at a shop that has a bend in the spine. Is it possible to straighten something like this without breaking it? It is an old borasic.
can you describe the bent? Is the spine not flat when you lay it on a flat surface?

When you look down the spine it has a gentle bend through the length of the spine and edge. There is what looks like a temper line the length of the blade about half way between the edge and the spine. It looks like either a sort of hamon or the line you would see where two different types of steel come together.
What I'm wondering is whether or not the spine is hardened.

usually the spine is not as hard as the blade.
The bend will not be a problem to hone the blade but will require experience to get it right.
If you can post pics it will be best .

I'll work on it. I have gotten the edge to the point that it will shave a bit, so that is progress. In the meantime I have a "shave ready" razor coming from the classified on the SRP.

Back