What are you getting when you buy just 'uchigumori'?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see this all the time, from bench size to finger stones of just 'uchigumori', without being explicit as to whether it is jito or hato. Aframes has a some where the bench stones are declared either or, but not the finger stones, not even Maxim's fingerstones are explicit (although they've been sold out forever), but typically bench sized are rarely described as either or. Are we to take it as such stones contain a mixture of each? Does it even really matter in the end if you use one or the other? In Maxim's video where he demonstrates uchigumori fingerstones, I don't think he switches between the two types when going over the jigane and hagane.

Thanks for clearing this up.

in my experience of the ones we've gotten over time, they are often hazuya (and thus i often break them down into smaller bits for use in polishing, as hazuya tends to be better for kasumi finishes)

in my experience of the ones we've gotten over time, they are often hazuya (and thus i often break them down into smaller bits for use in polishing, as hazuya tends to be better for kasumi finishes)

Thanks, Jon. I take it than that jizuya is better at making a kyomen finish? Can hazuya ever make a kyomen finish, or is 'limited' to a kasumi finish.
Also, is hazuya/hata and jizuya/jito synonyms?

It depends, but neither is really great for kyomen finishes. And yes, they are synonyms.

Buffers and hand polishing tools and pastes.... This is pretty much how it's done in Japan (with some notable and rare exceptions)

feel free to shoot me an e-mail about it, as it will be a rather long and complex answer

I have a feeling you're about to get bombarded with emails, Jon, myself included lol.

well i'm getting on a 12 hour flight in a few hours, so at least i'll have a little time off ;)

Did you get around to writing the long and complex answer Jon? I'd be interested too, perhaps put it on your blog.

Back