What is a Shapton glass stone made out of?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was Pixie bones and unicorn poo

What is the abrasive and binder used in this stone?

i think you are asking the wrong question.

the glass dont care about soaking. dont crack
they abrade fast, if not the fastest, on any steel.
they dish the slowest of anything.
they dry in minutes.

so who really cares is its made with 15% sic and the rest alox. it will definitely be different with different grits even if that was true...

doesn't matter. the only thing that matters is that they work well. and they definitely do that! in my experience the work the best/fastest out of all stones.

Actually that's sapphire also ruby.. not necessarily ceramic. Bauxite (abrasive) too

all oxide bound stuff are cermaics iirc, and all nitrogen bound ones are nitrides, and all cabon bound ones are carbides. but its kinda coarse this labeling.

since many carbides nitrides and oxides behave the same. all of them are hard and brittle but there are grades/levels. i regard tungsten carbide as a ceramic. but its a carbide. ceramics are usually light but this one is heavy. but it behaves just like ceramics and nitrides.

boron carbide, its just like silicon nitride similar to aluminum oxide. ultra hard semi light. technically not the same but in reality very very similar materials.

so what is really a ceramic?? all these ultra hard materials are "ceramics" in my book at least. oooh some are classified as carbides and might be heavier, and some are nitrides. so its another gas instead of oxygen in there. same **** imo.

sapphire, ruby, emerald, aluminum oxide its all the same ****. and in this case its simply the contaminants that put color to it that differs.

magnesia plus alox is also ceramic-ceramic technically speaking. ceramic is an overstretched word. and it has lost its meaning maybe 50 years ago. imo.

usually when talking stones if the description is "ceramic" it usually means fuzed solid aluminum oxide, no binder at all. and that means a solid chunk of alox, no porosity. like spydercos. and those suck ass. thats a "ceramic" stone

no matter what, if you read "ceramic" it will be mildly or wildly misleading no matter what.

they could simply say its fuzed alox or fuzed whatever. or alox with magnesia or alox with whatever. but nooo. lets just be as ****ing vague and misleading as possible because its not like all our competitors can simply buy one of our stones and simply analyze it for like 70 bux and know exactly how its made... ****ing retards...

It's a very dense resinoid (Plastic) binder with some sort of filler material (Nano Hone says they use wool, which was a surprise.), but the abrasive is some modified ceramic alumina. There are various sorts of AlOx abrasives, some of which cut a little harder and longer than others, and this is one of them. The backing is tempered glass, secured to the stone with some epoxy or polyurethane adhesive.

The Shapton Glass Stone HR line are typically a harder, denser binder than the Shapton Pro line (Barring HC stones, which I've heard are more 'Pro-Like'.), and the abrasive seems to wear out a little slower. The HR stones polish less, and keep cutting longer than the Pro line, in general at the same grit level... The finish is still very consistent under a scope, meaning they grade their abrasives quite tightly. I'd be blown away if it was a blend or mix of any sort... If you take high vanadium-carbide steels to them, they still start to burnish rather than cut at some point, while SiC, CBN, and Diamond keep cutting. They work very nicely on low-vanadium-carbide steels like R-2 or SRS-15, and can do ZDP-189, but don't seem to apex as well on steels with 4%+ vanadium. These are still better on steels like SG-2/R-2 and SRS-15 than most of the Gesshin, JNS, or Naniwa stones, though...

- Steampunk

Latest posts

Back