Whetstone help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, the Sigma Select II 6000 is a very good stone. It's my favourite synthetic in that grit range. The 1200 wasn't my cup of tea though. It dishes fast, it feels coarser than it is and I actually found it to be too aggressive.

Btw, the Sigma Select II 6000 is a very good stone. It's my favourite synthetic in that grit range. The 1200 wasn't my cup of tea though. It dishes fast, it feels coarser than it is and I actually found it to be too aggressive.

I'll go atoma 140 or 400, sigma 400,1k,probably skip 3k,6k. I don't see a 1.2k or a 12k in case you meant that. Will order next week because of very strong economy that doesn't restrict $$$/week/month for purchases outside of greece

I see fine tools no longer sells the 1200. I bought mine from them.
any idea if the sigma select 1k is better than the 1200?

I don't think better is the word. Just different.
1200 was loved more by most people as it was fast enough, but more resilient to dishing. My guess is that the 1000 wasn't fully understood. It needs a fair amount of soaking and just let the stone work. I have one for years and never experienced fast dishing. It saw dozens of knives.

I can’t find much info about the sigma 1k at all, but the 1200 has quite a reputation. I’m just curious how it performs.
Maybe I’ll just grab a king hyper.

Porosity is high, "binder" is on the weak side (technically it doesn't have one). Needs soaking, 30min or more for proper performance. No scratches behind. Cuts anything faster than mostly anything.

Back