Whiskey

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see these scotch whiskey posted but these are definitely worth trying.

Bowmore 18. Higher proof, good peat, lightly sweet.
Laphroaig Quarter cask- Peat monster.
Bruichladdich Laddie 16- This may be discontinued at this point but AMAZING. Light peat, smooth as butter, light vanilla fragrance, on the sweeter end.
Glendronarch 15- Hard to describe, its more of an all arounder. Lightly sweet, light peat, great body, light medium alcohol, light fragrance, full body. Well worth the money.

as for bourbons try out 4 roses. Makes a mean Old Fashion.

Go out and find a good tequila bar, buy a glass of Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia extra anejo. If they have it, order Tequila Ocho Anejo. If you want it "smokier", there's an endless supply of Mezcal's to dive into, but take some time with the anejo's and extra anejo's first.

Tequila is the new whiskey and is best when sipped neat. I've converted 6 Whiskey/Scotch drinking friends so far, give it a try.

I see a lot of good advice being thrown around here! Nice to see what fellow malt drinkers are up to!

You guys might want to look into this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff

Ralfy is a walking encyclopedia on anything malt related and he reviewed about every whisky available! His videos we're really helpful when I started getting into whisky!

Cheers!

Just finished a wonderful bottle of Glendronach 18, aged in sherry casks. The sherry casks give it a richer, almost burnt caramel type sweetness. It's reasonably priced for an 18yo too.

Barrel strength in bourbon is called Bonded. I don't think any bonded bourbon packs more flavor for the price as does Wild Turkey Rare Breed $45. Cashn I agree about drinking non-barrel strength booze.

This is completely incorrect. The Bonded act started in 1897 as some consumer protection against people selling flavored or under aged whiskey as something it was not. For the most part it is no longer required as an indication of a quality product. WT Rare Breed is not a bonded bourbon, Wild Turkey does not produce any bonded whiskeys.

Bonded bourbon is always 100 proof and aged at least 4 years. It must be distilled in the same season, by one distiller. It must be aged in a government bonded warehouse and list on the label where it was distilled. If bottled at a different location than distilled, it must also list the bottling location.

Like I said, it is less of a requirement today than it was 100 years ago, but bonded bourbons and ryes are still great because you know exactly what you are getting for a very good price. Old Grand Dad Bonded and Rittenhouse Rye Bonded are great additions to anyone's home bar. They are super versatile, make excellent bases for classic or craft cocktails, are cheap enough to be mixed with coke/sprite/ginger, used for shots, or sipped neat or on the rocks.

Doug was nice enough to give me a 1/5 of Whistling Pig Rye at the ECG and while I am not knowledgeable about whiskey I will say it was really, really good!!! Best whiskey I have ever had:D. It might be a good thing that the VA ABC stores don't stock it.

I drink a lot of whiskey and at this point have more invested in my bourbon collection than in my knives (and I've got quite a few of those as you know). I like cask strength bourbons and I have a lot of favorites in the 120-150 proof range. But you have to work your way up to that, can't just start drinking 147.7 proof bourbon neat on day one. And while the cask strength stuff is great, my preference is for bourbons in the 100-115 range. Properly produced and then aged, they don't require much water to bring them down into this range. The less water you add the better. I also rarely use bourbon or rye in cocktails that is less than 100 proof. With the affordable and delicious Bonded offerings I mentioned above, there is no reason to use more expensive and lower proof options. And quite often it actually makes a worse cocktail than the cheaper, high proof option.

Figuring out who makes each brand can help you in your purchases as well. Companies like Jim Beam and Buffalo Trace produce many many different brands. If you like one, you might like other things they offer. Less risk when buying more expensive options. Also, if you like their high end stuff, definitely try their cheaper offerings as well.

There are also many brands out there that actually don't make anything, they just purchase bourbon or rye from other people and bottle it themselves. I prefer to not buy things from these types because from a value perspective it's usually just cheaper to get it directly from the source (or from someone else who uses the same source but sells it cheaper). Brands like Bulleit, Templeton, Angel's Envy, Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, Whistle Pig, etc are all in this category of Non Distilling Producers (NDPs). If you like Bulleit rye, try George Dickel rye. They get it from the same place (MGP of Indiana) and the Dickel is usually cheaper. And remember, the brands you recognize from advertisements are going to cost more because they spent all that money on the ads!

The other thing I tend to avoid is craft distilleries. Unlike knives or anything artisan, bourbon is better made on a large scale. Companies like Buffalo Trace have been doing this a long time and have experimented with many different mashbills, barrels, entry proof, aging conditions, etc to test what makes the best bourbon. The other thing they have on their side is time. It takes time to properly age bourbon. It just starts to get good at 4 years old, but really benefits from being 6-12 years old. Craft distillers don't have the resources to wait 6 or 10 years to put products on the shelves. So instead they often put very young whiskey out. And while some of it is decent or interesting, it is often not good bourbon, especially compared to what the big guys can make and put on a shelf for $20-35.

Here are a few fairly common options that I feel are a good value. Getting at least one from each distillery will help you identify which house flavor profiles you prefer.

Old Weller Antique (Buffalo Trace)
Weller 12 year old (Buffalo Trace)
Old Grand Dad Bonded (Jim Beam)
Old Grand Dad 114 proof (Jim Beam)
Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 proof (Jim Beam)
Booker's (Jim Beam)
Fighting Cock (Heaven Hill)
Henry McKenna Bonded (Heaven Hill)
Elijah Craig 12y0 (Heaven Hill)
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (Heaven Hill)
Four Roses Small Batch (Four Roses)
Four Roses Single Barrel (Four Roses)
Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength (Four Roses)
Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10yo (MGP)
Abraham Bowman Single Barrel (Buffalo Trace)
Old Forester Signature (Brown-Forman)
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (Wild Turkey)
Russel's Reserve Single Barrel 110 Proof (Wild Turkey)

There are plenty more but this is a pretty good place to start without breaking the bank.

Wow. A bourbon masterclass. I'll have to try and find a few of those in the UK.

I have always been a whisky drinker. But never ventured far from your standard Johnny walker and Chivas.
I would like to educate myself but not spend the world. Suggestions welcome :)

You will not be disappointed with a bottle of Pendleton. It definitely won't break the bank either. Give it a shot.

I got really into bourbon a few years ago before it got big here in Denmark. Back then, nobody knew what was good and what wasn't, and what was rare and what was common, so every liquor store or wine shop would just order the standard catalog of the Buffalo Trace distillery. This would include the Antique collection that comes out every fall season, but also the odd bottle or two of Pappy Van Winkle 20, 15, and 10. So these shops would be selling bottles of Pappy 20 for Danish catalog price of around 150 USD. I had read previously about Pappy Van Winkle and about it being this "Holy Grail" in the whisky world and about how it's so incredibly expensive and rare and so on....

So when I walked into a wine shop in Roskilde and saw they had two bottles of Pappy 20 just standing on the shelf with a sticker price of 160 USD, I immediately purchased both bottles. The man behind the counter was quite shocked at a customer so quickly pulling down two "expensive" bottles for purchase seemingly without any consideration. As he was ringing it up, he commented "I've never tasted these, but they seem to be very expensive for american whiskey.".
A week later I came back and he had two more bottles of Pappy 20 and a single Pappy 15. Purchased them all again. He told me that I was crazy for spending such ludicrous amounts on american whiskey. I came back again a week later and there was nothing. The owner told me he couldn't get any more bottles because Buffalo Trace had stopped distribution of all products to Europe except for their base line of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, etc. I told him that Pappy Van Winkle 20 goes for around 1100 USD per bottle at auction. He laughed.

I've since opened one bottle of the 20 year old. It's great stuff. Incredible, really. But to be honest, it's only mildly better than my second favorite bourbon Elmer T. Lee, which I can get shipped from the UK for just around 50 USD. But even that is getting hard to find now. So my in my last Elmer T. Lee order I picked up 6 bottles which should last me a few years. The rest of the Pappy bottles are going on auction. I figure for every bottle I sell, I can get a really sweet knife. Seems like a good investment to me.

I also recently picked up a bottle of Whistlepig, which I am very excited to try.

Also, for any experienced whisky drinker who would like to try something a little bit challenging and complex and incredibly delicious, I highly recommend anCnoc 16 year old.

And for any beginners, check out Ralfystuff on youtube. The man knows everything about whisky.

[video=youtube;lCXkAy5XvcU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCXkAy5XvcU[/video]

He not only reviews whisky, but teaches about keeping open bottles fresh, how to add water to whisky, how and where to buy whisky, what to look for, whisky and smoking, whisky collecting, and so forth.

Oh anCnoc, yes please. I scored a bottle of the 1998 from a whisky loving mate for a birthday. It's very, very good, and didn't last long.

I also have a cracking bottle of Scarpa 12 on the go. Well worth trying if you see it.

I drink a lot of whiskey and at this point have more invested in my bourbon collection than in my knives (and I've got quite a few of those as you know). I like cask strength bourbons and I have a lot of favorites in the 120-150 proof range. But you have to work your way up to that, can't just start drinking 147.7 proof bourbon neat on day one. And while the cask strength stuff is great, my preference is for bourbons in the 100-115 range. Properly produced and then aged, they don't require much water to bring them down into this range. The less water you add the better. I also rarely use bourbon or rye in cocktails that is less than 100 proof. With the affordable and delicious Bonded offerings I mentioned above, there is no reason to use more expensive and lower proof options. And quite often it actually makes a worse cocktail than the cheaper, high proof option.

Figuring out who makes each brand can help you in your purchases as well. Companies like Jim Beam and Buffalo Trace produce many many different brands. If you like one, you might like other things they offer. Less risk when buying more expensive options. Also, if you like their high end stuff, definitely try their cheaper offerings as well.

There are also many brands out there that actually don't make anything, they just purchase bourbon or rye from other people and bottle it themselves. I prefer to not buy things from these types because from a value perspective it's usually just cheaper to get it directly from the source (or from someone else who uses the same source but sells it cheaper). Brands like Bulleit, Templeton, Angel's Envy, Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, Whistle Pig, etc are all in this category of Non Distilling Producers (NDPs). If you like Bulleit rye, try George Dickel rye. They get it from the same place (MGP of Indiana) and the Dickel is usually cheaper. And remember, the brands you recognize from advertisements are going to cost more because they spent all that money on the ads!

The other thing I tend to avoid is craft distilleries. Unlike knives or anything artisan, bourbon is better made on a large scale. Companies like Buffalo Trace have been doing this a long time and have experimented with many different mashbills, barrels, entry proof, aging conditions, etc to test what makes the best bourbon. The other thing they have on their side is time. It takes time to properly age bourbon. It just starts to get good at 4 years old, but really benefits from being 6-12 years old. Craft distillers don't have the resources to wait 6 or 10 years to put products on the shelves. So instead they often put very young whiskey out. And while some of it is decent or interesting, it is often not good bourbon, especially compared to what the big guys can make and put on a shelf for $20-35.

Here are a few fairly common options that I feel are a good value. Getting at least one from each distillery will help you identify which house flavor profiles you prefer.

Old Weller Antique (Buffalo Trace)
Weller 12 year old (Buffalo Trace)
Old Grand Dad Bonded (Jim Beam)
Old Grand Dad 114 proof (Jim Beam)
Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 proof (Jim Beam)
Booker's (Jim Beam)
Fighting Cock (Heaven Hill)
Henry McKenna Bonded (Heaven Hill)
Elijah Craig 12y0 (Heaven Hill)
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (Heaven Hill)
Four Roses Small Batch (Four Roses)
Four Roses Single Barrel (Four Roses)
Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength (Four Roses)
Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10yo (MGP)
Abraham Bowman Single Barrel (Buffalo Trace)
Old Forester Signature (Brown-Forman)
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (Wild Turkey)
Russel's Reserve Single Barrel 110 Proof (Wild Turkey)

There are plenty more but this is a pretty good place to start without breaking the bank.

Wow Johnny, thanks for sharing all this info!

I looked up Whistle Pigs website and they mention that on 7/4 of this year they will begin distilling their own whiskey, so we've got 10 years to go!

So do NDP buy the whiskey after it is distilled then age it themselves, do they buy it after it's aged or is it some combination?

This whole NDP concept is very common in the wine world, but maybe that is because so many decisions still have to be made after the grapes are harvested. It's also very common for wineries when starting out to buy their grapes until their plants are mature enough to produce.

Wow Johnny, thanks for sharing all this info!

I looked up Whistle Pigs website and they mention that on 7/4 of this year they will begin distilling their own whiskey, so we've got 10 years to go!

So do NDP buy the whiskey after it is distilled then age it themselves, do they buy it after it's aged or is it some combination?

This whole NDP concept is very common in the wine world, but maybe that is because so many decisions still have to be made after the grapes are harvested. It's also very common for wineries when starting out to buy their grapes until their plants are mature enough to produce.

NDPs do both, or something in between. Some buy new distillate and age it themselves, some buy barrels of already aged whiskey and bottle it, sometimes they buy barrels and keep aging them.

It is common in scotch as well, but they tell you where it is coming from. The issue in American whiskey is that the people who make the stuff initially don't want you to know they sold some to the guy down the street. And the guy bottling it doesn't want you to know he didn't make it because then his "family recipe" story and label don't make sense.

Take Templeton rye for example. Based on the design and claims on the label, you would think they are making it batch by batch in their bathtub, just like great-grandpa used to. Instead they buy already aged but very young rye from MGP in Indiana, water it down as much as legally possible (80 proof), send it out to get flavored, then bottle and charge nearly as much as two bottles of Rittenhouse Rye BIB.

NDPs do both, or something in between. Some buy new distillate and age it themselves, some buy barrels of already aged whiskey and bottle it, sometimes they buy barrels and keep aging them.

It is common in scotch as well, but they tell you where it is coming from. The issue in American whiskey is that the people who make the stuff initially don't want you to know they sold some to the guy down the street. And the guy bottling it doesn't want you to know he didn't make it because then his "family recipe" story and label don't make sense.

Take Templeton rye for example. Based on the design and claims on the label, you would think they are making it batch by batch in their bathtub, just like great-grandpa used to. Instead they buy already aged but very young rye from MGP in Indiana, water it down as much as legally possible (80 proof), send it out to get flavored, then bottle and charge nearly as much as two bottles of Rittenhouse Rye BIB.

I keep thinking back to wine because that is what I am more familiar with, but often times the boutique wineries especially in poor economic times (like the last 8 years!) can't sell out their wine, and are unwilling to lower their prices so they will sell the unneeded wine on the side to another winemaker who promises not to reveal the source. They will also get the word out among other wineries and offer their leftover wine at a discount to those in industry. Napa and Sonoma wineries and their employees are pretty intertwined.

I'm going to be trying out some of your rye recommendations:biggrin:.

Latest posts

Back