Who to service Hattori in Europe?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a.lber.to

Reaction score
Hello.

Who would you guys recommend to polish, re-etch and sharpen a set of Hattori kitchen knives in Europe?

I do not want to deal with export/import and VAT issues, so suggestions should be located within the EU...

Thanks!

évite les coutelleries parisienne pour ce genre de truc.
post une photo, et si c'est pas trop chiant je te le ferais gracieusement ;-)

Merci Bryan.
Hors de question de le faire gracieusement, car... il y en a 5!!! Mais j’apprécie le geste!
Je vais faire des photos et te les envoyer, mais ce n'est rien de méchant - juste des rayures d'aiguisage (ou des rayures de nettoyage à l'éponge grattante que quelqu'un qui ne sera pas nommé a bien pensé faire dessus) qui devraient se polir très facilement...

In which case it would be cheaper to pay Jon to get on a plane to France and pay him for the job, rather than pay the insurance for the shipping of the knives :D

:doublethumbsup:

Robin Dalman a fait un super job sur mon Hiromoto: thinned, polish, etched, sharpen.

Robin Dalman a fait un super job sur mon Hiromoto: thinned, polish, etched, sharpen.

He he he, this is a language for me. Half english and hall french as I am still learning that other difficult language. ;)

Especially if it is a KD series ;)

They are indeed my 5 KD knives that I want slightly polished, re-etched and sharpened. I am trying to take pictures, but it is not easy to show the very slight scratches which I want to have buffed out...

You can see them via the link in my signature, BTW (though the post is out of date, since the bars are totally out of space right now, even under the beams!)

I think Alberto speaks of these:

FiveHattori.jpg

I think Alberto speaks of these:

Actually, thank you for reminding me of that thread. There is a very high resolution picture of the 210 gyuto and of the santoku in it that shows the stone sharpening marks I would like to remove.

The 270 gyuto has a couple of thin scratches on it (which were there out of the box, from its time in the TYO store), while the 150 petty has some food staining which I would also like removed...

You have a full set of kd? I wouldnt let anyone touch them or ke them go anywhere and if I were a master at polishing knives I would be scared to take them

Well, technically no, as I do not have the 240 gyuto, and Hattori has also been known to have made at least eight 70 mm parers in KD damascus. Now, while I do not feel the need to have the 240 gyuto, I would *love* to have one of the parers!

As to the second part of your post, that is exactly why I am seeking references here, so that they end up in the right hands...

However should they not be polished on natural stones rather than etched?

The etching is just a chemical process to bring back the contrast in the damascus steel, as the polishing would inevitably remove it...

Like Matus wrote, contact Jon and start preparing for his trip. Probably he would not mind coming to Paris ;)

Great knives btw...

normal shipping insurance of a package sent with the Austrian post is up to 500€. I do not want to imagine what they would charge for a package with a value of around several thousand Euros... Not to mention that you would only get money, the knives could not be replaced as they simply are not available!

Maybe you should consider the pretty cool idea of flying someone in for the job! How much is a ticket? You pay the ticket, accommodation and food. I don't know if that would be enough. The sharpener could easily see it as a free holiday... :hungry3:

Back